CHS Football Player Fights A Tormenting Injury

Heaven Acuña, Staff Writer

Playing any sport comes with risks. Most athletes know they can be seriously  injured at any time. One violent collision or misstep can ruin an athlete’s life.

Injuries also cause student athletes huge problems in their daily lives.

Athletes on a variety of the Clairemont teams sustained injuries this past season. Freshman Isaak Vilchis is one of those players. The fullback/middle linebacker on the junior varsity football team was injured during the last football game of the season against Kearny High School.

During a running play, Vilchis misplaced his foot and the player from the opposing team fell onto him. The weight of the other player on top of him put too much pressure on his foot and it flexed the wrong way. In that moment, he tore a ligament in his foot. His condition is called “the Lisfranc Injury.” The Lisfranc Injury is when the toes of a foot is over extended downwards the wrong way and ligaments are torn. This injury is very painful. It also makes the foot swollen and distorted. Any pressure on the foot can be extremely painful.

Vilchis breaks the tackle of a Komet defender.

Due to his condition he was required to use crutches and was constantly late to class. Sometimes he also needed help carrying his things to class.

Before he got his first cast Vilchis didn’t come back to school for almost a week. When he did come back, a week after his injury, he was confined to a borrowed wheelchair from the school nurse’s office. He wasn’t supposed to put any pressure on his foot and had to using crutches for weeks. Doctors said It will take Vilchis a few months to fully recover, but Vilchis doesn’t really know how many. He will get one or two more casts until he is fully recovered and each cast will be on for about four to six weeks. After he gets the last cast off he will need to go to physical therapy.

Vilchis has now gotten his third cast. With this new cast he is able to walk around without crutches, but if they are needed, he is still allowed to use them. This cast will be on for at least another four weeks until he gets his next one.

On March 28, 2017 Vilchis will be allowed to start playing sports again. Vilchis says, ”I will tryout for the track team this next season but only the shot put section because I can’t put toomuch pressure on my foot. Or I might  try out for tennis or golf because it won’t put as much pressure on my foot as the other sports will and because my friends are going to join too.”

Since his last doctors appointment Vilchis has gotten a boot on his foot and doesn’t require the crutches or extra assistance anymore. Vilchis can now walk on his own. Even though it might be difficult or painful to get better he still wants to try his best.