Goodbye Journalism

Back to Article
Back to Article

Goodbye Journalism

Haley Engelbrecht, student-journalist

This semester has been rocky, lots of ups and downs conflicting with my motivation to finish my sophomore year.

Journalism has enabled me to expand my writing in a way I never thought I would. All the rules and guidelines for creating a perfect story is stressful.

This class has definitely taught me how to not be wordy and instead write to make a point and educate the reader.

Another is finding the perfect research. Looking up websites that relate to the topic can be either easy or hard by using trusted sites and the correct citation.

I am going to miss coming into class and taking notes for CNN 10 because learning about what is happening miles and miles away from me can be shocking compared to where I live. Hearing about the insane poverty increases make me grateful to live in the United States and to have free education.

I am definitely not going to miss having to write ‘a million’ drafts per week to have a final draft for the CHS Arrow newspaper website. Having chemistry, English, history and journalism homework every night made getting enough sleep very difficult.

I am looking forward to seeing how younger journalists develop at Clairemont High School. Even though it is at risk of being cut and many students will be glad to see it go, I will stand for it and hopefully help kids write expressing their creativity on their mind and not get criticized for it.

Overall, this class has assisted me in grasping to look outside the box. Literally, looking away from the computer and interviewing face to face with teens at the school about their experiences here and how things should change.

About the Writer
Haley Engelbrecht, student-journalist

Clairemont High School sophomore Haley Engelbrecht is involved in sports and extracurricular activities such as the gardening club and a college prep program...

1 Comment

One Response to “Goodbye Journalism”

1. Summer Keegan on May 3rd, 2019 10:15 AM

It was great to see such an optimistic view of the journalism class. I can definitely see where you are coming from, with loads of homework from different classes. Every student struggles with organizing their priorities, whether that involves school or personal life. Your arguments on the benefits of taking this course were also very eye-opening.
    -Summer Keegan

• Goodbye Journalism

A Summer Playlist For Summer Break

• Goodbye Journalism

Next Steps For The Class Of 2019

• Goodbye Journalism

Summer Beaches in San Diego

• Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism

• Goodbye Journalism

Summertime Slowdown

• Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism

• Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism

• Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism

• Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism

• Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism

Goodbye Journalism