Racial Bias Where We Trust Most

Back to Article
Back to Article

Racial Bias Where We Trust Most

Ashley Garcia, Assistant Editor/Student Journalist

Police are portrayed as the good guys since they enforce the law however, they judge a citizen by unfairly accusing them and hurting them due to their skin color.

Police officials are frequently antagonized due to their negative appearance on media. Often this signifies that most of the negativity that is shown is when officers are caught doing malicious actions.

The Stanford Open Policing Project reports that more police officers have been recorded detaining a majority of minority groups.

Stanford researchers have found that African American drivers are 20% more likely to be stopped than Anglo drivers. When these drivers are detained, the officers often do not have enough evidence to prove why.

NBC News reports that Richard Jackson, an African-American and Navy veteran said, “I gave up too much time in my life to fight for this country to have my rights trampled on.”

Jackson says that he had been stopped for no reason by an Anglo officer. The veteran was let go after.

This is not happening with just drivers it has happened to children too. Brett Schrack, an officer in Annapolis Florida, grabbed a child’s arm and left a bruise.

Capital Gazette News reports that the officer was no longer employed after the incident. Schrack, argues his body camera was off and does not recall whether he forgot to turn it on or if it had malfunctioned.

In another case, African-American rapper Meek Mill was beaten to the ground by an officer. He had been at home after the officer along with others beat him according to Mill. 

According to news source Page Six, Meek said he was handcuffed in a gruesome way and started bleeding from the way the cops were handling him.

Although the cop claims he had just wrestled Mill down, evidence shows otherwise.

The artist stated, “[I had] a concussion, stitches, braids ripped out. My blood was on the ceiling, on the floor.”   

The music artist had a court trial in November of 2016. The officer who had injured him got caught lying in court for previous crimes.

The bias views that officers have against minority groups has increased from verbal harassment to physical assault. The color of one’s skin should not be a determining factor for authorities to believe that he or she is a hoodlum.