Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Back to Article
Back to Article

Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Tanika Hahn, student-journalist

Students can kiss theater goodbye as of April 1st. It was recently announced that Clairemont High School (CHS) will be getting rid of the theater program school officials announced.

This is happening due to budget cuts and with the new academy, Clairemont cannot afford to keep this program around.

The Academy of the Arts will be emerging at CHS to compensate for the loss of theater, journalism and other electives.

San Diego Unified performing arts director I.T. Snotreel said, “I have no personal connection to the Clairemont High School theater program but I am saddened by the news. I think every high school should have a performing arts program of their own.”

The Clairemont theater program will disappear at the end of the 2019 school year.

Chieftains are devastated by the news. As a result some students are considering switching schools.

CHS junior Notta Trustori said, “I can’t imagine a good reason to stay at this school without theater, sometimes it’s the only thing that gets me up in the morning.”

As sad as the loss is this change could really help the school. By getting rid of theater students will have more future opportunities.

CHS Theater administrator Issa Fakestory said, “You know getting rid of theater is a really bad thing but in a way, I think it could benefit the school. I think this could be a really good thing for students to explore other subjects. Without theater, we will have so much more money and we will be able to have more science classes and more field trips!”

School officials understand this might cause outrage but theater is too much money.

Clairemont High School board leader Lolla Uaghing said, “We don’t have enough money for anything but what are we supposed to do? Close down the whole school when there is a quick fix. No, we cut theater. It’s a no brainer!”

Theater is an issue all over campus since students are focusing more on their upcoming plays and practices than they are school work. 82% of the students in theater have low SAT  scores due to the lack of studying.

San Diego Unified School District leader Abril Fersst said, “It’s ridiculous! Students are failing their classes because there’s no GPA requirement at all! 50% of the theater students at CHS are failing their classes I’ve never seen grades that low.”

For some students theater was the only thing motivating them to get good grades and this will affect them greatly.

CHS sophomore Fay Kaprilstorri said, “Theater pushes me to get good grades, I work harder because of it. I’m lost without, I don’t know what to do with my life! I think the world is over!”

“Was I dramatic?” she added. 

CHS is working hard to better the school and if cutting theater will help that is the way it has to be.

About the Writer
Tanika Hahn, student-journalist

Tanika Hahn is a freshman at Clairemont High school and a student journalist for the school paper the CHS Arrow.

This is Tanika’s first year at CHS...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Curtain Comes Down On Theatre”

1. Ella on April 1st, 2019 7:42 AM

This is a great, well written article. That being said, this is insane and terrible that they’re getting rid of theater! Theater is everything for some of us here at CHS, and it and the people in it mean the world to us! I can’t belibe they would get rid of it simply because the stage broke. Won’t other people still need to use that stage for assemblys and other things?

2. Mandy on April 1st, 2019 9:08 AM

Wow really funny April fools joke. Not

3. Joe Barnes on April 2nd, 2019 8:58 AM

HAHA that was funny.

4. Joe Barnes on April 2nd, 2019 9:02 AM

HAHA that was funny. I almost fell for it.

5. Theo on April 2nd, 2019 9:04 AM

that was extremely funny i laughed so hard

6. Theo on April 2nd, 2019 9:05 AM

that was extremely funny i laughed so hard lol

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Coming Soon: A New Academy!

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

New Schedules Start Today!

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

No Graduation Ceremony for Class of 2019

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

ROTC Program Replacing Physical Education

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Band Plays Last Tune

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Chieftains Transition to School Uniforms!

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

New Lunch Choices Starting Today!

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Physical Education Being Cut

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

No More Vice Principals!

• Curtain Comes Down On Theatre

Changing CHS Colors

Curtain Comes Down On Theatre