Band Plays Last Tune

photo: Google

photo: Google

Ashley Garcia, student-journalist

As of April 1st, Clairemont High School (CHS) will begin the transformation to remove their band program.

The San Diego School Board announced that there are not enough funds to keep the program going. This action will be taken at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.

San Diego Unified School District Board Director Trixy Storie said, “Money shortage is the main cause the class will shut down, but don’t worry we will be putting a different class in to substitute for the band class.”

The program will be replaced by an origami class that will show the young adults how to make boats, hats, swans, and cootie catchers out of paper.  Students in grades 9th through 12th will be accepted into the new elective.

School administrator T.H. Isaprank said, “It will be hard for band to rise back into our programs in the future, but it might come back. It just depends on our funds.”

Although others can donate, the school would need a steady stream of money to keep the elective alive each semester.

The high school will lose the band teacher to be able to have a different staff member who will know the arts of origami.  

Funds for this class will be gained from selling the instruments online.  The money will go to buying things such as square paper, pencils, rulers, tape, scissors, and more supplies for specific projects.

As the program goes, it is known students will be upset due to losing the teacher and their ability to show their passion for music.

Student Jo King said, “It’s sad we have to get rid of the program because it was fun when we would have our final performance in front of our family and friends.  I would make myself and others proud that I knew how to play an instrument.”

Saying goodbye to the football team, due to not having enough helmets, also means having to get rid of the band at the games.

Although some may be concerned about overflow in classes, the new elective will help.  The origami course will be allowed to open up to 45 students maximum.

The course will be held in the band room after its gutted.  The class will be having everything taken out and have tables placed for the student’s art.

Not only will this class help students figure out life situations by thinking differently, but it also will help in common core classes too.  It is known to reduce stress, help work in groups, and create better problem solving when students are studying geometry.

The class is expected to help students improve muscle memory, patients, hand-eye coordination, and strategic thinking for hard life situations.

Junior April Fulya said, “I would love to take that class since it improves life skills like hand-eye coordination and patience.”

Although the band program will be saying goodbye, the origami class has been long awaited by many artsy students.

About the Writer
Ashley Garcia, student-journalist

Ashley Garcia is a freshman at Clairemont High School and she is in the Health and Medical Science Academy.

She is an ambitious student and is willing...