Young and Pregnant

photo%3A+pixabay
Back to Article
Back to Article

Young and Pregnant

photo: pixabay

photo: pixabay

photo: pixabay

photo: pixabay

Natasha Maciel, student-journalist

It becomes the hottest gossip on campus and on social media when a high school student gets pregnant. Most adolescents do not plan on having a baby and they do not anticipate all the responsibility that comes with it but even so it still happens.

Teen pregnancy continues to be a national health issue and concern which can involve risks that can affect both the mother and child. They are more likely to suffer health, social, and emotional problems including increased risk of medical complications such as premature labor, and social consequences.

“Teen pregnancy affects women way more because they are the physical price and of raising a child,” said Clairemont high school Registered Nurse Sascha.

According to the Department of Health and Human Services the teen pregnancy rate has declined by 51 percent since 1991 – from 116.9 to 57.4 pregnancies per 1,000 teenage girls ages 15 to 19. Abstinence and the use of birth control are factors in the decrease.

“It should be taken into consideration that some girls might get pregnant from human trafficking, or they might get pregnant on purpose because they might believe having a baby will help them with emotional trauma,” said Nurse Sascha.

While women are able to give birth as soon as they start menstruating, being pregnant and giving birth early in life can come with many risks such as high blood pressure, pregnancy-induced hypertension, PIH which can lead to preeclampsia, including many other complications. Early pregnancy may also lead to death for both the mother and child.

“Even with all the health risks involved with getting pregnant, I understand why girls might still find themselves in a situation like this. They might not have even wanted to get pregnant or they might have done it because they feel ready,” said Clairemont High sophomore Angela Barbontin.

The male side of teen pregnancy has been ignored in previous reviews and discussions since teenage pregnancy and childbearing has traditionally been viewed as a female issue. This is partly due to the relative prior neglect of males during pregnancy, birth, and childrearing in general, among all age groups.

Teenage fathers are often unmarried during the time of conception, birth and are generally not participating in the birth and early care of their infants. This is generally the result of a powerful social prejudice that surrounds pregnancy and childbirth among unmarried teenagers as reported by the National Center for Biotechnology Information.

“In my opinion, it’s kinda sad to see boys in situations like this not care and ignore their child and the girl they got pregnant just because they don’t feel like responsible,” said Clairemont High senior Melanie Duran.

Teen pregnancy can also lead to feeling alone and isolated especially for teens who think they can not tell their parents they are pregnant, feeling scared, isolated, and alone can be a real problem. Without the support of family or other adults, pregnant teens are less likely to eat well, exercise, or get plenty of rest according to online magazine WebMD.

“I feel like a lot of girls during high school as more emotionally vulnerable making it more likely for them to search for dramatic ways to make them feel happier,” said Angela Barbontin.

Even though the numbers are going down stemming teen pregnancy is nearly impossible. What is not impossible is parents and teachers continuing to educate young adults about safe sex and to provide the proper resources for them to keep themselves and those around them healthy and making the right choices.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Young and Pregnant”

1. Jadaen M Brown on February 7th, 2019 10:21 AM

I think that this is a really good topic to talk about. I like the emotion that was put into the article.

2. Rogelio G. on February 7th, 2019 10:22 AM

I loved the fact that you included an alternative option/ a solution to teen pregnancy which is to have more people educate teens on the topic. I also felt that the data you provided help validate your point. Overall the story was well researched and written as it is evident throughout the story.

3. Andrew on February 7th, 2019 10:23 AM

I think this is a cool article about teen pregnancy but how does it relate to Clairemont? There should be more information on how to prevent this issue further even if it is going down.

• Young and Pregnant

Chieftains were asked, “What’s your ideal Valentine’s Date?”

• Young and Pregnant

The Truth (?) Behind That Heart

• Young and Pregnant

Seniors were asked “Who would be your celebrity Valentine?”

• Young and Pregnant

Love: Need it or Drop it?

• Young and Pregnant

My Mom Goes To School With Me

• Young and Pregnant

Teen Life Can Be Stressing

• Young and Pregnant

Vaccines Are Required But Not Everyone Agrees

• Young and Pregnant

Advisory, Is It Needed?

• Young and Pregnant

Death Effects Teens

• Young and Pregnant

Boppin’ To And In Class

Young and Pregnant