Staying Healthy and Germ Free Takes Practice

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Jasmine Mendoza

Photo by Jasmine Mendoza

Photo by Jasmine Mendoza

Jasmine Mendoza, Editor in Chief/student-journalist

Student gatherings in schools are one of the main ways germs can spread easily in communities.

Each school may have a full-time certified school nurse who spends most of his or her day attending to the intense and continuous health needs of the students.

Clairemont High’s school nurse Mrs. Nusser said, “When we talk about illness we want to protect each other because when you have a fever or something contagious like vomiting and diarrhea, you’re just spreading it to all your friends by touching everything and what your doing is making it harder for everyone else to access their education.”

Students can be in close contact with each other and spread their germs at school by coughing and sneezing. A cold can spread by rubbing their noses or eyes after cold virus germs have gotten on their hands.

A child has an average of six to ten colds a year, and an adult has an average of two to four colds per year. A cold causes students to have doctor visits and miss more school days than any other illness.

Most of the student’s illnesses and minor injuries are often cared for by the school nurse, but they return to class or are sent home. Other diseases can be more severe than others and may lead to students being sent to a hospital.

Art teacher Ms. Berlin said, “The best thing to do is stay home or just make sure you don’t touch people and to make sure you don’t cough on your paper or the people next to you.”

One way towards having good health is avoiding contact with bacteria and viruses at school. The common ways to prevent germs is to take vitamin D, eat vegetables, get regular exercise, have adequate sleep, and getting the flu vaccine.

On campuses, classroom desks can have a variety of bacteria and fungi due to multiple students sitting on them each day. To protect students from germs and illness, immunizations, as well as vaccines can help not only the student but the family as well as the school staff.

Senior Vanessa Salceda said, “I usually don’t go to school if I’m feeling sick and if it’s really bad but I would think other students would stay home because I wouldn’t want them to spread it to me and get me sick.”

There are many different ways that families can help with keeping students healthy. Parents can make sure their children are eating healthy meals, exercise to stay in good health, and getting enough sleep.

According to the medical blog “The dirt on back-to-school germs,”  a study of middle and high school students shows about half washed their hands after using the restrooms which can lead to them becoming ill. Student’s immune systems are still developing which makes them more susceptible to germs.

Students, as well as staff, can have better habits and practices.

Ms. Berlin said, “I usually don’t do anything to help the classroom be germ-free but I would suggest students wash their hands a lot.”

Bacteria and viruses can live for more than two days on many different surfaces, but the best and most proper way a student can protect themselves is to frequently wash your hands.

Mrs. Nusser said, “Handwashing is the number one way to protect each other. When you leave the bathroom, before you eat, before you touch things because it’s the number one way to prevent the spread of contagious disease.”

A fever is a sign that a body is fighting the germs that are making someone feel sick. This is a common symptom of infections like the flu.

Students should go back to school after a doctor says their symptoms are cleared up and are no longer contagious or all signs of being sick are gone. 

The best students and staff can do is to be aware of what they do while at school, and practice healthy habits.