Drug Use In Our Schools

Drug use in high schools

Natasha Maciel, The Arrow

Drug use in high schools

Natasha A. Maciel, student-journalist

Throughout the years’ drug use in high schools has become a widespread epidemic and without any signs of premature drug abuse slowing down many want to know what actions are being taken to stop this problem.

There are several reasons teens use these substances, including the desire for new experiences, the belief that it will help them with their problems or that it will help them perform better in school, and simple peer pressure. 

School psychologist Ms. Jennifer Shell said, “I think that for some students, using drugs can start experimentally, for fun as an escape from the stress of real life, or because of peer pressure.”

Many factors influence drug use amongst adolescents, but the most common might very likely be the availability of drugs within their neighborhood, community, and school.

According to the health website The Recovery Village, facts about teenage drug and alcohol abuse reveal that 86% of this age group know someone who smokes, drinks or uses mind-altering substances during the school day.

In the U.S. teens abuse alcohol more than any illicit drug and it causes the most harm. Unsurprisingly it is responsible for nearly 200,000 emergency visits and 4,300 deaths among kids under 21 each year.

“I feel like drug abuse has gotten worse in that there are different types of drugs now, some stuff I’ve never even heard of,” said Clairemont High-security officer Mr. Robert Dean.

In terms of illicit drugs, marijuana has become the most popular amongst high school teens due to the belief that it is not as bad as other substances.

More high school seniors smoke pot than smoke cigarettes. As of 2015, 12th graders are about as likely to smoke weed as they are to drink reports The Recovery Village.

Mr. Dean said, “It troubles me and makes me sad to see the younger generation being exposed to drugs so early because these are young people making unwise decisions. Which could very well haunt them later on (in life).”

Adolescents believe weed cannot be harmful due to it being thought to be “natural.”

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) information website reports that ten percent of users may develop what is called a marijuana use disorder that can lead to problems with their health, school, friendships, family or other conflicts in their life. People who begin using weed before the age of 18 are 4–7 times more likely than adults to develop this health problem.

Ms. Shell said, “These years are precious years for brain development and learning. Drugs can severely impact students future outcome not just in school, but also in life. The teenage brain isn’t fully developed, and I don’t think many teens fully grasp the lasting impact the decision they’re making to have fun now might have on their life.”

The drug information website Project Know reports that in the United States alone 7% of youth aged 12–13 took an illicit substance in the past year while 5.6% reported drinking alcohol. Early use of drugs or alcohol has been linked to several times higher risk of developing substance dependence, as the majority of Americans aged 18–30 admitted for substance abuse treatment initiated alcohol or drug use before the age of 18.

When it comes to the topic of drug prevention, not everyone will agree that enough is being done, but studies have shown that research-based programs can significantly reduce the early use of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. Also while many social and cultural factors affect drug use trends when young people perceive drug use as harmful, they often reduce their level of consumption.

When talking about substance abuse in high schools today many do not believe how severe it has become even when faced with facts. But that does not mean they have to accept the problem it just means students and adults should be educated on the issue and in doing so a lot of misunderstandings and situations having to do with drug use can be prevented.

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Drug Use In Our Schools”

1. Lilly on December 18th, 2018 9:00 AM

There are a lot of great facts and empowering quotes. I believe many people should see this and hopefully make a positive change.

2. Caeden Wicks on December 18th, 2018 9:03 AM

Well done, I agree that drug use is out of control on our campuses and something needs to be done to stop it.

3. Andrew on December 18th, 2018 9:05 AM

The story is very informational and attention-grabbing. The story uses a good amount of statistics to help show the spread of drugs in our country. It does repeat some of the terms a little too much and could use some synonyms and rewording.

4. Rogelio G. on December 18th, 2018 9:06 AM

The story was great! It has great information for a simple reader or someone looking to do research on drug use in school. It also focuses on several different aspects of drug use such as the reasoning, what drugs, and what is being done which allows readers to understand the issue in one story or can go to other resources to get more information.

5. Gustavo Velazquez on December 18th, 2018 9:08 AM

I really like your story, I thought it was great and I like how you used a lot of different people and places to get information or quotes from. I feel as if the way you wrote this would really change someones opinion or view on drugs.

6. Jaden Brown on December 18th, 2018 9:09 AM

Thanks for keeping me alert.

7. Noe Romero on December 18th, 2018 9:10 AM

This is a good and informational text. I have noticed that this is a big problem in the Clairemont campus and it would be really good to spread this information out to the Clairemont students. It would be good to also have other advertisement about this text in the hallways to make more aware of this problem so students can see the negative affects of drugs more. I think you should also have more information about how to stop or prevent the use of drugs and also maybe add a hotline for those who care to try and end this addiction if they do have it.

8. Jolene Shipley on December 19th, 2018 9:00 AM

This is a very well written news article and I don’t think the amount of people who will read this lines up to the people who should read this. Thanks for putting it out there!

9. Luke on December 19th, 2018 9:06 AM

The article is very informational.

10. Lesly Gomez on December 19th, 2018 9:08 AM

I thought as if this story is very important and entertaining for many students to read to make a positive change in their life. I like how you included many opinions and evidence to support your statements.

11. Yahir Avila on December 19th, 2018 9:18 AM

In my opinion you are stating the same thing over and over again but overall I like the amount of evidence. As well as the fact that you got other individuals to state their opinion on this issue.

12. Alexis Harris on December 19th, 2018 12:49 PM

This was extremely informative and expanded my knowledge on this issue.

13. Beau Buser on December 19th, 2018 12:50 PM

This is a good story and it speaks the truth about what happens at schools nowadays. Their needs to be a change because this could evolve into something worse.

14. Saul Gallegos on December 19th, 2018 1:07 PM

This article is very interesting and informative! It is heartbreaking to hear all the statistics on minors that abuse drugs. It is a problem should be fixed and having people be more informed would help.

• Drug Use In Our Schools

Staying Healthy and Germ Free Takes Practice

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

School Start Time Continues To Be Controversial

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

Immigration Issue Affects Many On Both Sides

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

Student Drug Use And Testing

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

Not Getting Enough Sleep Can Affect Students

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

Sewage From Tijuana Shuts Down San Diego Beaches

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

At Least 8 Dead in Santa Fe School Shooting

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

When There’s a Will, There’s a Bill: Protection for Mueller

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

White Nationalists Attack Chicano Park

• Drug Use In Our Schools

News

Clairemont Students Walkout and Speak Up Against Gun Violence

Drug Use In Our Schools