Preventing High School Fights

photo+by+Alexis+Martinez%2C+The+Arrow+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Preventing High School Fights

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

Alexis Martinez, student-journalist

School violence continues to be a problem on many campuses.

Shootings should not be taking place at schools full of pupils. Students need to feel safe and secure on campuses from the violence.

Prevent School Violence.com reports that for the past several years, there has been a rise in school shootings in the United States. 

Sometimes what can cause these problems is bullying which can be verbal, making threats, intimidation, ostracizing and more. These actions need to be noticed to be prevented in any place.

Security officer Robert Dean said, “School violence happens when students don’t communicate they just assume things and when you assume things it causes you to react without thinking about it.”

According to a news report produced by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), it was found that when acts of physical violence in schools results in death, many students also experience nonfatal acts of passive and physical school violence.

Teachers need to see the moods, the motives, how teens react to certain topics that people ask them. 

English teacher Mr. Senteno said, “Sometimes it’s about student’s affiliations with different groups and what I mean by that is they claim to be in a gang, sometimes it’s over a girl or a guy. Sometimes it’s about a student bothering another student, and that student finally has a tipping point, and they go at it.”

Everyone that sees a bully sees a different perspective whether it is teachers, students, or parents. Anyone can help a person that is being bullied or something unusual that a student feels or knows is not right.

“Teachers should get training for preventing violence on campus but also in observing and helping prevent violence that might come from off of campus,” said Mr. Senteno. 

“Teachers can be more proactive if they see students disagreeing. They should intervene then and not wait till later, and they can also bring kids in to talk. Communications always the best thing,” he added.

What could work for teens is to be paired with an adult mentor so that way they can have a role model. Having a positive environment, and not feeling left out of something that is important to them such as their families.

Maybe all the students need is someone to talk to and if the teacher can do that, then it may lead to less violence on campuses. That is not always the case since students may be close-minded.

Mr. Dean said, “School violence happens when students don’t communicate. They just assume things and when you assume things it causes you to react without thinking about it. The district should put more money into hiring more campus security assistance like myself. The more people you have (and) the more eyes you have, the more you can be protective in making sure none of the (possible) incidents happen.”

One or a few security guards can make a difference. Not only are they stopping students from doing things that they are not supposed to do but they can also see people that might come into the school.

Former high school student Dahlia Rojas said, “When I was in high school there weren’t many school shootings (on different campuses) as there are now, but there was a couple. Whenever I heard about school shootings, I was kinda nervous because in my school there were a lot of kids doing drugs and going to class all drunk and I didn’t know if maybe something bad would happen in my school.”

In the end, the schools, government, districts, and the police need to improve in training,  their security and the safety of all students and staff.

About the Writer
Alexis Martinez, student journalist

Alexis is a 10th grader in Clairemont High School; she is not happy to be back in school.

She has one brother and he is 21 years old; he is about to...

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Preventing High School Fights”

1. Chris Roberts on December 18th, 2018 9:01 AM

This needs to stop

2. Jaden Brown on December 18th, 2018 9:04 AM

Thank you for teaching me how to prevent this situation

3. Nathan Simas on December 18th, 2018 9:05 AM

The article was really good because it had lots of sources and quotes. Also the concluding sentence flowed very well and was a good end.

4. Gabe Moran on December 19th, 2018 9:00 AM

This article was good thanks for helping us know more on how to prevent this.

5. Carla on December 19th, 2018 9:01 AM

The article is really good and detailed. It uses many sources which is a plus and is very informational.

6. Tatum Denny on December 19th, 2018 9:04 AM

I enjoyed reading your article, even though there were a few errors, but other than that I would show this to a friend

7. Matthew Edmondson on December 19th, 2018 9:05 AM

Honestly I 100% agree to this article, I see way too many kids getting bullied and there is way too much kids getting hit, schools shouldn’t have fights. School is for learning and to form you into a better person for the future and it is also for bonding and meeting lifelong friends.

8. Joseph Davies on December 19th, 2018 9:06 AM

This was a very well written article, it had lot’s of good info, and made some great points on preventing fights. It could’ve been less quote heavy, but other than that it was great.

9. Armando Cordero on December 19th, 2018 9:12 AM

the article was very interesting to read and also really good to read because it had a lot of evidence and sources to proof that there is violence in this school and has a really good prevention of how to stop it.

10. Jaquelyn Valle on December 19th, 2018 9:12 AM

This article is very good because each person gives a solution to the problem and try to improve the safety of each student

11. Yusuf Barnes on December 19th, 2018 9:14 AM

Thank you for teaching me how to prevent this situation.

12. Vincent Meray on December 19th, 2018 12:41 PM

Fighting between students is not the way to handle beef.

13. Stephen Drummy on December 19th, 2018 12:45 PM

I believe that school violence is unacceptable especially when they are fuelled by politics. I hope that this problem can be resolved within time.

14. Abby L on December 19th, 2018 12:50 PM

I like how you found many sources to convey your message about school violence. It proves just how passionate you are about getting your message across.

• Preventing High School Fights

Chieftains were asked, “What’s your ideal Valentine’s Date?”

• Preventing High School Fights

The Truth (?) Behind That Heart

• Preventing High School Fights

Seniors were asked “Who would be your celebrity Valentine?”

• Preventing High School Fights

Young and Pregnant

• Preventing High School Fights

Love: Need it or Drop it?

• Preventing High School Fights

My Mom Goes To School With Me

• Preventing High School Fights

Teen Life Can Be Stressing

• Preventing High School Fights

Vaccines Are Required But Not Everyone Agrees

• Preventing High School Fights

Advisory, Is It Needed?

• Preventing High School Fights

Death Effects Teens

Preventing High School Fights