Preventing High School Fights

photo+by+Alexis+Martinez%2C+The+Arrow+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Preventing High School Fights

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

photo by Alexis Martinez, The Arrow

Alexis Martinez, student-journalist

School violence continues to be a problem on many campuses.

Shootings should not be taking place at schools full of pupils. Students need to feel safe and secure on campuses from the violence.

Prevent School Violence.com reports that for the past several years, there has been a rise in school shootings in the United States. 

Sometimes what can cause these problems is bullying which can be verbal, making threats, intimidation, ostracizing and more. These actions need to be noticed to be prevented in any place.

Security officer Robert Dean said, “School violence happens when students don’t communicate they just assume things and when you assume things it causes you to react without thinking about it.”

According to a news report produced by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), it was found that when acts of physical violence in schools results in death, many students also experience nonfatal acts of passive and physical school violence.

Teachers need to see the moods, the motives, how teens react to certain topics that people ask them. 

English teacher Mr. Senteno said, “Sometimes it’s about student’s affiliations with different groups and what I mean by that is they claim to be in a gang, sometimes it’s over a girl or a guy. Sometimes it’s about a student bothering another student, and that student finally has a tipping point, and they go at it.”

Everyone that sees a bully sees a different perspective whether it is teachers, students, or parents. Anyone can help a person that is being bullied or something unusual that a student feels or knows is not right.

“Teachers should get training for preventing violence on campus but also in observing and helping prevent violence that might come from off of campus,” said Mr. Senteno. 

“Teachers can be more proactive if they see students disagreeing. They should intervene then and not wait till later, and they can also bring kids in to talk. Communications always the best thing,” he added.

What could work for teens is to be paired with an adult mentor so that way they can have a role model. Having a positive environment, and not feeling left out of something that is important to them such as their families.

Maybe all the students need is someone to talk to and if the teacher can do that, then it may lead to less violence on campuses. That is not always the case since students may be close-minded.

Mr. Dean said, “School violence happens when students don’t communicate. They just assume things and when you assume things it causes you to react without thinking about it. The district should put more money into hiring more campus security assistance like myself. The more people you have (and) the more eyes you have, the more you can be protective in making sure none of the (possible) incidents happen.”

One or a few security guards can make a difference. Not only are they stopping students from doing things that they are not supposed to do but they can also see people that might come into the school.

Former high school student Dahlia Rojas said, “When I was in high school there weren’t many school shootings (on different campuses) as there are now, but there was a couple. Whenever I heard about school shootings, I was kinda nervous because in my school there were a lot of kids doing drugs and going to class all drunk and I didn’t know if maybe something bad would happen in my school.”

In the end, the schools, government, districts, and the police need to improve in training,  their security and the safety of all students and staff.