Cell Phone Use In Classes Is Everyone’s Responsibility

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Ruby Morales

Photo by Ruby Morales

Photo by Ruby Morales

Photo by Ruby Morales

Ruby Morales, student-journalist

A cellular device is an equivalent to a computer the size of a palm and they are still advancing. Young adults in today’s society would not be surprised if someone has a cell phone since it is used for various reasons.

High schoolers use their phones for different things on a daily basis at school. There are some teachers and students that believe that they should be used in class, while others may say it is unethical to have them in school.

According to Debating the Use of Digital Devices in the Classroom news article from Concordia University Portland, supporters of technology in the classroom state that using cells can keep students engaged but critics say it is yet another distraction in the class.

Many teachers do not mind students using their phones during class time as long as they are still paying attention.

“My teachers only let me use my phone if it’s for an educational purpose such as accessing a document or something,” said Engineering and Design Academy junior Noah Hascall.

There are teachers who do not like phone use during class and confiscate it if they see it out. Most of the teachers on campus have the rule where pupils cannot have cells out at all during a test or a quiz.

Concordia University also reported that some positive effects of students having phones in the class include parents having peace of mind if there is an emergency then they can quickly contact their child at school.

Students additionally can access videos and documents that the teacher shows to the class.

The negative effects of cell phone use in class are that they can be a distraction from schoolwork since students can have the temptation of going on social media or texting. Having cells in the classroom would only increase that possibility and it could also increase the risk of pupils cheating according to the Concordia University of Portland.

Teachers debate on this matter. Some say that students should just stick with the laptops.

Clairemont high biology teacher Ms. Maynard said,  “There is no reason to use a phone. We have calculators, we have high-speed laptops that they can log onto very quickly and it shouldn’t be just one person using technology. It’s either we’re all using it and we all have access to it, but not on the phones.”

Other faculty says that cells should be in the classroom, but they should be used in certain ways.

“Considering that we’re a technology-based society, it should be allowed but in a controlled manner. Not just for the students to be pretending to use them, but knowing that they should use them for their academic work, for example, recording interviews, doing research, or video production. It can be used in many positive ways, it’s just important that students and teachers realize that it has to be in a controlled manner. The teachers have to come up with a plan and the students have to stick with the plan, understanding that it’s only for the classroom use and not to just be texting everybody,” said CHS English and journalism teacher Mr. Senteno.

Students also their thoughts on the subject.

Hascall said, “(Students) should be able to use their phones for school stuff during school but that’s it.”

Health and Medical Academy sophomore Alexis Martinez agrees with Ms. Maynard saying that students should stick with the laptops that are already available.

Martinez said, “I think it should not be allowed just because now everything is just about phones and technology. I have a habit of picking up my phone when I’m not supposed to. We have computers so whatever we have to do online or on the phone they can do it on the computer. I really don’t find the (reason) of kids taking out their phones unless it’s for taking pictures or recording something but I think it shouldn’t be allowed because I find it kind of meaningless because now most everybody has phones so their habit is just taking out their phones and sending a message to their friends or family or whatever they’re doing but I just think that shouldn’t be allowed.”

Though CHS is not able to have phones during each class students at least have laptops that help throughout the school day. Maybe one-day Chieftains might use cell phones in all classrooms responsibly.

About the Writer
Ruby Morales, student-journalist

Ruby Morales is a freshman in Clairemont High School and remembers she was very nervous the first day of school.

“I had no idea if the teachers would...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Cell Phone Use In Classes Is Everyone’s Responsibility”

1. Sam Kaye on December 18th, 2018 9:01 AM

We should be able to use our phones because the teachers in most cases use their phones. If teachers use things in class students should also be allowed to use them.

2. Mason Warren on December 18th, 2018 9:02 AM

This was an interesting story which tells the effects of cellphones in classrooms. I will be more aware of using my phone in class for doing things I am supposed to do.

3. Seth Johnson on December 18th, 2018 9:04 AM

I have a question to ask, do you ever find your mobile device distracting you from other things that you knew you should be doing?

4. Abby Keegan on December 19th, 2018 12:51 PM

I feel the use of phones in the classroom (at least this day in age) benefits the student, however, I also feel it is a distraction in certain situations. There should be a healthy medium between no phone use in class and phone use in class.

5. Adviser1819 on December 19th, 2018 1:51 PM

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Arrow
    Attention: Ms. Ruby Morales

4150 Ute Dr.
    San Diego, CA 92117

Dear Ms. Morales,

I am writing regarding the December 18, article in The Arrow titled, “Cell Phone Use in Classes Is Everyone’s Responsibility.”

As a father and educator, I am very interested in the topic of how we help young people utilize tools, such as phones and social media, in a responsible way. It is also incumbent upon us to help everyone recognize the negative effects of devices that are so commonplace. Techcrunch.com reports that the average age for a child getting their first smartphone is now 10.3 years.

In your article, you state that:
    The negative effects of cell phone use in class are that they can be a distraction from
    schoolwork since students can have the temptation of going on social media or texting.

While I agree with this statement, I think the harmful effects go beyond simply distracting students. In a December 2016 interview, in which he discussed the state of Millennials in today’s society, Simon Sinek said:

We know that engagement with social media and our cell phones releases a chemical
    called dopamine. That’s why when you get a text – it feels good.
    In a 2012 study, Harvard research scientists reported that talking about oneself through social media activates a pleasure sensation in the brain usually associated with food, money, and sex…We know when you get the attention it feels good, you get a hit of dopamine which feels good which is why we keep going back to it. Dopamine is the exact same chemical that makes us feel good when we smoke, when we drink and when we gamble. In other words, it’s highly, highly addictive…We have age restrictions on smoking, drinking, and gambling but we have no age restrictions on social media and cell phones….An entire generation now has access to an addictive, numbing chemical called dopamine, through cell phones and social media, while they are going through the high stress of adolescence.

Why is this important? … because we are allowing unfettered access to these devices
    and media, basically it is becoming hard-wired and what we are seeing is that they grow
    older, too many kids don’t know how to form deep, meaningful relationships.

We know the science is clear, we know that people who spend more time on Facebook
    suffer higher rates of depression than people who spend less time on Facebook.
    I think the points made above are incredibly important for students and their parents to consider.

Mr. Senteno said it best when he said:
    It can be used in many positive ways, it’s just important that students and teachers
    realize that it has to be in a controlled manner. – Mr. Senteno

Thank you for your honest take on a very important issue that seems to go unnoticed or
    undiscussed. I look forward to reading your future work.

Sincerely,

Ethan Williams
    Vice Principal
    Clairemont High School

• Cell Phone Use In Classes Is Everyone’s Responsibility

Chieftains were asked, “What’s your ideal Valentine’s Date?”

The Truth (?) Behind That Heart

Seniors were asked “Who would be your celebrity Valentine?”

Young and Pregnant

Love: Need it or Drop it?

My Mom Goes To School With Me

Teen Life Can Be Stressing

Vaccines Are Required But Not Everyone Agrees

Advisory, Is It Needed?

Death Effects Teens