What Students Eat Shapes Who They Are

What people eat has a large impact on their mental and physical abilities, especially for kids. School lunches also impact how students perform and behave in school.

Having schools provide balanced lunches has been a priority over the past years. Campuses are required to serve fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat or fat-free milk, whole grains, and protein.

According to research approximately one in three kids in America are overweight which puts them at a higher risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, and asthma.

For a time school lunches did not provide the nutrients needed by children and teens.

In 2010 Congress passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. This made changes to lunches for the first time in decades in the U.S.

Students who have unhealthy eating habits such as consuming a lot of fast food and low nutritional snacks scored lower scores in math and reading.

Food with nutritional deficiencies in zinc, vitamin B, and omega 3 have been shown to affect cognitive abilities.

When students have poor nutrition they are far more likely to get sick. This affects how much class time is missed.

By missing class, they fall behind in their assignments. If they do go to class they are less motivated, have little energy, and have trouble concentrating.

There are many benefits to eating healthy such as having more energy, lower risk of chronic disease like type two diabetes and lower risk for childhood obesity.

A study done by Cornell University found that making foods more convenient for students increased schools sales by 18%.

A later study showed that by moving the salad bar from the corner of the lunchroom to the center increased the sales and consumption of those foods.

English teacher Mr. Senteno believes that today’s society does not encourage students to eat healthily. Schools do have healthy options available but most students bring their own food he says.

“Kids tend to be picky with what they eat on a school campus, that’s always been an issue even when I was in high school,” Mr. Senteno said.