Student Drug Use And Testing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Drug Use And Testing

photo by San Francisco Examiner

photo by San Francisco Examiner

photo by San Francisco Examiner

photo by San Francisco Examiner

Jasmine Mendoza, student journalist

Some students are tempted to do many things as they grow up. Things like staying out past curfew, drinking, smoking or vaping and ditching school. One of the most common is trying marijuana 

Most of the reasons teenagers use drugs are based out of curiosity, relaxation, for fun, peer pressure, but also to feel part of a group or change, to feel better or different.

Although some schools adopt random drug testing rules to decrease drug usage towards students in hopes to give them a reason to resist peer pressure.

There may be some suspicions of a student like red eyes, grades slipping, difficulty concentrating, feeling tired or being uncooperative.

Using drugs may interfere with the student’s ability to learn, but it can also disrupt others’ lives as well.

One Clairemont high senior who requested to anonymity said, “I have seen people smoking in classes and bathrooms and I think most of these students only do this to feel like they are better than everyone else.”

Whether a student is expelled for smoking marijuana can depend on where they are caught, how many times they have been caught and if they give or sell to others.

Random drug testing for student athletes is rising in schools.

The National Institute On Drug Abuse reports that the United States Supreme Court granted public schools legal permission to administer random drug tests for student-athletes in 2002. Since this decision, public schools have contemplated expanding the drug testing scope into their entire student population.

Some schools also perform reasonable suspicion testing on students who show evidence of drug use that includes abnormal behavior or physical symptoms. According to the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 27 percent of high schools nationwide that have a form of student drug testing.

There is no evidence to support that using marijuana will automatically lead to using other drugs such as amphetamines and heroin but it can raise a teens curiosity to try other illegal, mind-altering substances.

Senior Emmanuel Cortez said, “I personally think students shouldn’t be doing drugs in the first place. I see it change those people who do. Those people don’t concentrate and those who don’t care if it brings down their grades.”

Nearly half of high school students might know someone who sells drugs at their school or knows of a place on campus where some may go to do drugs, to sell or smoke during school hours. There are many of these kids who struggle, who can also influence others by seeing pictures on social media.

Showing the photos not only shows other teens that it is no big deal but it can also lead to something worse like an overdose.

Business teacher Mr. Colombo said, “(In) all my year’s teaching, I’ve never caught any of my students with drugs but I do have my suspicions. In our generation it was different, but these days, students only make those choices out of peer pressure or to be in a group and it’s getting worse.”

In hopes to prevent this schools, parents, and police need to work together to combat drug and alcohol abuse.

The best advice anyone can receive is to just say no or risk losing friends, family and maybe more.

About the Writer
Jasmine Mendoza, editor in chief/student journalist

Clairemont High School has a variety of academy choices, and Jasmine Mendoza was originally assigned to the Academy of Business while enjoying getting...