Chieftain Spirit Is Disappearing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chieftain Spirit Is Disappearing

School spirit is a staple in modern high schools in America and throughout the world. It is one of the variables which can tell if a school is a desirable place to go to, or if it is the place that students will regret going to.

Clairemont high school is a (campus) with very limited prospects. Whether it is school spirit, student population,(classes) available, or even something as minor as air conditioning or food, it is struggling to provide resources that other schools can easily provide.

School spirit is derived from not only the size of a schools population, but also its student’s enjoyment, treatment, the success of the school teams, and how closely they feel like a school. When you put them together, Clairemont seems to have some school spirit, but there is a sizable chasm for what they could fill.

Our sports teams are good and bad. Our water polo is great, so is our swimming and wrestling, and our volleyball is decent. But the sports that truly elect school spirit, football and basketball, quite truly suck.

The students do not actually participate in anything in the pep rally, they cannot hear what the people are saying, and it’s too uncomfortable in there with the heat.

ASB fails to plan anything good and to put an analogy for it; the ASB would be the dad from Everybody Hates Chris if creativity was money.

With our small population, we cannot really do anything that requires a large crowd, yet we also are not doing anything that could be done with a small crowd.

So in my opinion, though there was not much of it, the school spirit is dying at Clairemont, and might just die off.

Shane Henry, senior

1 Comment

One Response to “Chieftain Spirit Is Disappearing”

1. Adviser1819 on November 16th, 2018 11:38 AM

Dear Mr. Henry,

I am writing regarding the November 13, article in The Arrow titled, “Chieftain Spirit Is
    Disappearing.”
    First, let me say that I appreciate your honest take on an issue that I find to be of the utmost importance. School spirit certainly plays a large part in creating a positive experience for students.
    After reading your article (opinion), I have a few questions. As a member of the CHS admin team, I am constantly looking to improve school spirit and am hopeful that the answers to these questions (or even just the pursuit of an answer) will move us closer to where we want our school spirit to be.

First, you state the following:
    “Whether it is school spirit, student population,(classes) available, or even something as minor as air conditioning or food, it is struggling to provide resources that other schools can easily provide.”

Have you had the opportunity to speak with other school sites about how they “easily provide the amenities that enhance school spirit? If so, proposing solutions that have been proven to be effective along with your critique may be helpful in addressing this issue.

Second, in your third paragraph you state:
    “…Clairemont seems to have some school spirit, but there is a sizable chasm for what they could fill.”

I am curious to know what are your thoughts [or thoughts of any of your fellow students] as to how that chasm might be filled? Maybe you would be willing to write a follow-up piece in which you interview CHS students and provide some possible solutions to how we address the issue of “disappearing school spirit.”

Finally, in your fourth paragraph, you write:
    “Our sports teams are good and bad. Our water polo is great, so is our swimming and wrestling, and our volleyball is decent. But the sports that truly elect school spirit, football and basketball, quite truly suck.”

In terms of athletics, how do you define “great”?

As a member of the CHS admin team, we have had many discussions about this. Clairemont High School believes that beyond the specific skills of a sport or activity, or the numbers on a scoreboard, athletics provides students the opportunity to learn important principles that can guide them the rest of their lives. In fact, imparting these principles to our students is more important than the number of games they win during their four years here. Certainly, improving skills and winning games is a part of the overall goal, but the quest to win games, events, championships cannot come at the expense of failing to provide these educational opportunities. Yes, we hope to develop better athletes and athletes who win. But more importantly, we are in the business of developing better people and athletes who win at life.

Thank you for considering these points and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Sincerely,
    Ethan Williams
    Vice Principal
    Clairemont High School

Chieftain Spirit Is Disappearing