Backless Bikes Around San Diego

Back to Article
Back to Article

Backless Bikes Around San Diego

Cameron McAvin, Staff Writer

Brightly colored bikes have flooded the streets, parks, driveways, bus stops and just about every part of  San Diego. In the past months, several dockless bike companies have introduced their new bikes that do not require a docking station. Renting a bike is simple, users download an app which locates a bike in their proximity, the bike is then unlocked through the app, once they are finished with their ride, the rider may leave it where ever they want. Despite how helpful and convenient the service is, the bikes are often mistreated and abandoned inappropriately.  

Several companies, including Limebike, recently positioned new bikes around Clairemont High School. Tessa Gonzalez, a freshman from CHS says, “I have ridden the bikes before, and I think it was a great idea to add them around the school because they are so easily accessible for students to use before or after school.¨ Unfortunately, according to the California Law, riders under 18 years old are required to wear helmets, yet most of these companies don’t supply them for the riders. Since most high school students are under 18 years old, students that use the bikes are involuntarily breaking the law without knowledge of any problem.  The price per band varies, but is often one dollar per half hour.

Also a major issue with the packless sharing bikes is the placement of the bikes around San Diego. After the riders have finished their ride, they have the choice of where to leave the bike.  But many are are being left in harmful places, such as blocking driveways and on highways.

Because of the cluttering on streets, several San Diego communities including La Jolla, Little Italy, and Coronado have banned and removed the bikes. They have declared the bikes a “public nuisance.”  

Many San Diegans are in disagreement with these bikes and have displayed their hate for them publicly. Another Clairemont High School student, Emerson Sand, witnessed a collision on the railroads in Bay Park. “An Ofo was stranded on the tracks and the train I was on slammed it.” explains Sand.

Also many bikes have been dismembered for parts or vandalized out of aggression. Some public cases include pictures of bikes cut in half and a pile of bikes in downtown.  

Packless bikes are a convenient and inexpensive way of transportation that are beneficial to many people in San Diego, but because of the danger and untidiness they bring to the streets, many don’t know if it’s worth the risk.