Chieftains Exhibit Art at the Del Mar Fair

Emily Hascall, Copy Editor

Experienced art teacher Laura Berlin and student teacher Barbara Young, both from Clairemont High School, recently entered a new “BEE”- utiful art piece into this year’s San Diego County Fair.

Having gathered inspiration from students, family and fellow faculty members; these creative women were determined to produce an outstanding exhibit that discussed environmental issues surrounding the ever-decreasing bee populations.

Entering an exhibit piece into the fair is a tradition at Clairemont High. “It stemmed from having a garden, ecology and art club, me being the advisor of each. Eventually we morphed the three clubs together and began to enter artistic landscape exhibits for the Garden Show at the fair,” stated Berlin.

Each year the exhibit combines the theme of the fair with a detrimental environmental issue. For example, the last three Garden Show projects were inspired by water conservation. Clairemont High Art Club garnered First Place Blue Ribbons three consecutive years in a row.  

This year, the theme of the Del Mar Fair is called “How Sweet It Is”, a dramatic change of theme for the Garden Show. Because of the shift in theme, competitors had to focus on the environmental problem surrounding the dangers of the decreasing pollinator population. “Fingers crossed we still take home a winner,” commented Berlin before receiving the results.

The process of creating the garden exhibit was long and complicated. One requirement for the exhibit was to provide an educational experience to the audience, which meant that Berlin had to begin the project with extensive research on the subject of the art piece. Students of Berlin and Young’s Art Class, Clairemont Art Club, and all others helping with the exhibit thoroughly explored the importance of pollinators. “We found a lot of information about their role in the food chain, how pollinators eat and live, and how we can help them re-populate,” added Berlin. For these Art teachers, it was inspiring to see individuals taking such an interest in both the Art Exhibit and the endangered bees.

“We even found that historically, San Diego has played a big role in bee conservation, beekeeping and bee populating,” stated Young.

The main portion of the art piece was constructed by Berlin and Young’s first year Art Class, where they put together paper mache bees and other pollinators. “The bees looked colorful, fun, and well-made one finished,” stated senior Natalie Meins.

However, the art exhibit also required help from other teachers and classes. Assistance from Meg Moore, history teacher, Richard Oka the engineering teacher, and Amy Clark the biology teacher was provided as well. The goal was to incorporate new skills in order to add technological aspects to the garden, such as the sound of buzzing that plays only when people walk by.  “We are crossing over art, engineering and science. We are utilizing real world applications from our lives to help us portray the problem that cause pollinators like bees to be poisoned and die,” stated Young.

The opening of the Del Mar Fair was June 1st, and the results of the Garden Competition have already rolled in! Berlin was happy to announce that once again, Clairemont High School has won a first place blue ribbon for our art exhibit! To join in the celebration and support your fellow classmates, stop by the San Diego County fair this summer to see it– “BEE”-fore it’s too late!