Should Student Athletes Take P.E?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Student Athletes Take P.E?

Meghan Fennessy, Staff Writer

Gym class. Some students enjoy it, while a vast majority dreads it. In all schools, athletes can be found dedicating themselves when it comes to both their sports and their education. Many high school athletes come home exhausted from late practices and games to hours of homework. This balancing act between school and sports takes its toll on these student-athletes. Time athletes spend in gym class could be put to better use by giving them a study period instead. Thus, a question presents itself: Should student athletes be required to take gym class?

“As an athlete, I believe I already receive the right amount of exercise playing a sport and doing physical education would most likely affect my performance or could cause unnecessary injuries that would hinder my ability as an athlete,” explained Cameron McAvin, a varsity volleyball player at Clairemont High School.

High schools have deemed physical education a requirement to graduate. Granted, it can be an important class that gives students who do not participate in sports the chance to stay healthy and exercise regularly. However, for already busy and fit high school athletes, it simply becomes a waste of time and in some cases, a threat to their physical well-being.

The purpose of gym class is to keep students healthy and exercising regularly, however, high school athletes are obviously in good health since they already dedicate as much as two to three hours a day to their sports. For this reason, high schools should award athletes with P.E. credits for playing a sport and allow them to use their gym class period for other, more advantageous purposes. High school athletes could take a study period in the place of gym class. This would give athletes the opportunity to catch up on work, thus relieving any stress, and would also give them extra time to do their work instead of resorting to doing their work at the last minute.

In addition to this, PE exposes athletes to unnecessary risks. Because they are often loosely organized, gym class activities can put athletes at risk of injuries that could affect their sports season. According to TeenInk, an online newspaper, PE injuries soared 150 percent from 1997 to 2007. If an athlete obtains an injury in gym class, some PE teachers do not take said injuries as seriously as they should. Some teachers will tell an injured student to ‘walk it off’ thus creating more damage. Injured athletes may fall behind in their sports: missing practices, games, and the proper conditioning their body is used to.

Should student athletes be required to take gym class? There is an obvious and preferred answer; no, they should not be required to take gym class. The beneficial factors outweigh any ‘need’ for student athletes to take gym class. Instead, they should be given credit for sports and an opportunity to take a study period. In all schools, athletes would appreciate and benefit from privilege of not being required to take gym class.