California: Where Artists Can Thrive

Austin Haugland, Staff Writer

Vast deserts, high mountains, constant sunshine, California has it all. With its many landscapes, California makes for a great art piece. At Clairemont, many students have unique talents in arts but don’t recognize it. With the right tools and equipment then California is the perfect condition for your artist career. If you see yourself in the fields of the arts then you’re in luck. California gives a variety of benefits to its Arts Industry.

One of the many pros of the art industry in California is that the income for the career is significantly higher than the national income. The average national income for a graphic designer is $43,500 while the income on average is $62,000 in California. This demonstrates that California is willing to pay higher for its artists than the rest of the country.

The state of California features diverse scenic landscapes or the shimmering ocean view of the Pacific. Those subjects can inspire artists to capture the essence of that view. One such artist is Erin Hanson, who’s love of California can be seen in his painting California Greens II. Like Hanson, many other artists can draw inspiration from California as it is a vast region that provides beautiful scenery to attract artists.

Photography in the California region is well known from Bliss, a well recognized Microsoft desktop background photo taken by nature photographer Charles O’Rear. “The grass is now getting a brilliant green. The storms are still coming through with rain and clouds.” said O’Rear who claimed that it was in perfect condition to take a photo of. Many other areas including the Bay Area around San Francisco or Balboa Park in San Diego also make the landscape unique.

For a while now, California has been in competition with states like New York and Tennessee for offering artists higher wages, California has a wider range of landscape and nature parks along with calm weather. It isn’t necessary to live in San Francisco for the perks, one can live in other cities within their price range, such as Temecula or Oxnard, which are equally beautiful in different ways.

Overall California has a pristine environment that allows individuals to pursue a career in the arts. California is said to be attracting artists with it’s higher income than the national standard income. Many famous artists are from regions that capture the essence of the land’s simpleness. As the Golden State is a vast region, this paves the way for many opportunities for artists to discover it’s uniqueness in art.