At Least 8 Dead in Santa Fe School Shooting

Amanda Sabin, Opinion Editor

Friday, May 18, 2018.  In high schools across America, students are celebrating the close of another year’s AP testing.  Many schools are about to begin their summer vacation. In still another school, the usual pattern of life has been interrupted by something entirely different.  

Santa Fe High School in Texas was the site of a school shooting on Friday.  For the United States, this is the third school shooting in 8 days, the 22nd school shooting so far this year, and the 101st mass shooting this year.  Authorities have confirmed that at least 8 people died, possibly as many as 10, with more in nearby hospitals being treated for injuries.

Most of the dead were students, sources say.

The suspect currently being held by police is believed to be a student at Santa Fe High, and was carrying what witnesses described as a shotgun.  

This event is following a series of student gun reform movements that swept the country last month, in response to February’s deadly school shooting that killed 17 students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.  

Clairemont High students participated in many of these events, the first one being the Women’s March-organized walkout on March 14th, a month after the Parkland shooting.  The school sponsored an optional assembly which paid tribute to the lives lost, and provided a safe space for students who did not want to participate in the memorial.

The #MarchForOurLives, a national gun control march organized by the surviving students of Stene-Douglas High, gathered a large crowd on March 24th, when between 5,000-10,000 San Diegans took the downtown waterfront by storm.  Clairemont’s Take A Stand Club joined the marchers, did other Clairemont students. The president of Clairemont’s Take A Stand chapter, Clara Siliezar (11), says the club members “believe that it is imperative for students to engage in these discussions to further the potential for change.”  

Siliezar was also one of the student organizers for Clairemont’s #NationalStudentWalkout on April 20, the 19th anniversary of the Columbine school shooting.  The walkout was led by seniors Alex Middleton and Amanda Sabin, who spoke at the event, joined by State Assemblymember Todd Gloria and City Council candidates Jordan Beane and Dr. Jen Campbell, among other officials and community members who spoke.  The group marched from the school down Clairemont Dr. to Mission Bay, where they were met by Mission Bay High School.

In light of the Santa Fe High shooting this morning, more events like this one may soon be occurring across the country.