How to Make Colleges BEG For You

Totee Setthachuea, Staff Writer

College admissions officers have the power to brutally obliterate a student’s hopes and dreams.

The selection process for college has always been an uphill battle for students, and to exacerbate the situation, the hill continues to rise steeper and steeper for each succeeding generation. Luckily, the selection process is coming to an end just as seniors prepare to graduate

The students featured in this article are the best of the best that Clairemont High has to offer. They have been accepted to their respective colleges and are continuing their educational career in order to create a better and brighter future for themselves. These are tips they would like future generations to take to heart.

Audrey Cummings: California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)

Audrey Cummings is the Senior Class Salutatorian and is revered by her peers as one of the brightest students they know.  Her interests are in electrical engineering, which she is planning to pursue at Cal Poly SLO. Cummings’s strategy for college is to transcend ordinariness and exceed expectations. Cummings looked at her school’s requirements and made sure to not only meet those standards, but surpass them. “By whatever means necessary, I made sure to excel in academics and extracurricular activities such as tennis.” said Cummings.  In her comment, she really emphasized the need to be a well-rounded student, having both the capabilities to be successful in academics and extracurricular activities. “I participated in numerous extracurricular activities to mold myself into a well-rounded student, but if there wasn’t an activity that I wanted to partake in, I created it, like my Robotics Club,” expressed Cummings. Her quality of being able to excel in academics and extracurriculars has impelled most of her colleges to send home an acceptance letter.

Nick Davidson: San Diego State University (SDSU)

Nick Davidson represents the athletic spectrum of Clairemont High Seniors. He participated on the basketball and volleyball teams, where he was acknowledged as one of the star players. However, while off of the court, Davidson pushed himself beyond his limits in the classroom by taking numerous AP classes. Davidson stated, “My one tip to future college applicants is to be a well-rounded student.  Every year, college is getting more competitive, so GPA is not the end all be all aspect of a student. You must be involved in your school. Participate in clubs or sports in order to prove to colleges that you are capable of performing diverse tasks.” Colleges are no longer looking for students who just stick their noses in their textbooks; they are looking for students who are able to demonstrate a wide range of abilities and have the capability to excel.

Natalie Meins: School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC)

Natalie Meins is one of Clairemont High’s best artists, with her work earning a first place title at the Del Mar Fair art competition. She has been accepted to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) where she will be pursuing her passion in illustration. To become the successful student artist she is today, Meins had to develop her talent through hard work and painstaking dedication; it was not gifted to her. Meins stated, “I practice drawing or painting for at least an hour everyday.  Eventually, the work paid off and I got good.” Her dedication to her craft was further demonstrated when she recognized that Clairemont’s art program was not challenging enough, and that she needed to take further initiative to improve her art.   “I went to art camp outside of school because it was important for me to get better,” said Meins. Proactive, hardworking, dedicated: these traits have made her into an exemplary student and irresistible to SAIC.

Conclusion

The fact is you can have colleges begging you to attend their school; however, you must be proactive, dedicated, hardworking, overachieving and well-rounded. Although these tips will not guarantee an acceptance letter from your dream school, if you live your life abiding by these principles, your chances of getting in your school will dramatically increase. So underclassmen, buckle up and get to work.  High school will be difficult, but the payoff in the end will be worth the blood, sweat, and tears.