Who Knew? You Actually DON’T Need to go to College!

Kela Ternasky, Copy Editor

College isn’t a necessity. This statement may be dubbed heresy by most teachers and parents, but it’s true. Ever since middle school, this generation has repeatedly been told that the only way to succeed is to graduate from high school, go to college, get a degree, and get a job. For students that struggle to learn and thrive in a school setting, this seems like a daunting future. However, there are other options.

Clairemont High School students that attended Marston Middle School will remember having entire classes and specific units dedicated to finding the perfect college, determining what career you were suited for. Most students were preteens, told to start making decisions that could affect their entire future.

Having students begin their career search at such a young age often leads to them basing their entire high school education and goals off a job they wanted when they were thirteen years old. In some cases, students who might not be sure if college is the best learning opportunity for them are forced to start building a future that they will continue to dread.

An idea commonly spread by these college-focused programs is that a college degree is necessary to get a job. This just isn’t true. There are a wide variety of jobs available for people with just a high school diploma ranging from hands-on jobs like mechanics and carpenters, to first responder jobs like policemen and firefighters.  For instance, Jason Hascall, father of Clairemont student Emily Hascall, was once a realtor and is now a firefighter. While he did have to acquire his GED, attend paramedic school, and have an EMT license, he has become successful without a college degree. In a study of about 2,000 police officers by the Journal of Criminal Justice Education, 55% of the officers did not have a degree. Earlier this year Business Insider released a list of jobs attainable without a college degree.

A way to combat this problem is simply to inform students of other options. Encourage kids to explore other school and career paths and introduce those paths in the college-focused programs/classes early on.

Recognize when something isn’t right for you and realize that your future is what you make it; there isn’t just one path to success. And while it is not expected that this article will change anyone’s mind about whether or not they wish to attend college, hopefully it will motivate someone to consider other options.

About the Writer
Kela Ternasky, Copy Editor

Kela Ternasky is a senior at Clairemont High School and is looking forward to contributing to the CHS Arrow. She enjoys drawing, playing with her dog,...