ARC Program Offers Competitive Spring Soccer

William Alcantar, Staff Writer

Soccer season has finally ended, but that doesn’t mean that the soccer players don’t want to continue playing “the world’s game.”

Thankfully, the after-school IMIN program is having an indoor spring soccer tournament in which different schools from around the district compete against each other. This program could be beneficial for those that are interested in joining JV or Varsity soccer this upcoming season and want to improve their skills during the “off season.”

Soccer is known for being one of the most popular sports around the world, if not the most popular one of them all. At Clairemont High School, it is also one of the most popular winter sports that people try out for, next to basketball and wrestling. Varsity Senior player Guillermo Marquez believes that this program has helped him improve on his skills and that others should give this program a try.

“Success is no accident, it’s hard work” is a quote that Senior Guillermo Marquez lives by, which means that improvement does not happen overnight and that it takes time and skill in order to master a sport like soccer.

Sophomore JV player Denilson Toledano also likes the idea of having an after-school soccer tournament. “I believe it will help me with conditioning for the next season,” he states.

The after-school IMIN program, located in the ARC, is known for offering various activities for students, including the weight room, a cooking club and a gaming club, to name a few. They also offer healthy snacks daily and tutoring for those in need. It is also a good “hangout place” for those other athletes that finish practices early or for those waiting for the after-schools buses that arrive at 4 and 6:30 p.m. respectively.

This year, Richie Salas, a CHS alumni from 2016, is the head coach for the soccer program. He is very excited to coach the team this year, as he believes teamwork is a huge key to having a perfectly balanced team.

The IMIN rules state that a balanced team must have eight people on the field, four from JV or Varsity, and the rest are those that have never played for the school team.

The tournament has begun since April 17. Games will normally take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays around 3 or 3:15 p.m. and consist of two twenty-minute halves. All games will take place in an indoor soccer field, unlike winter soccer, in which those games were taken in the football field. It has not been confirmed how many games there will be, but it is believed that the season will go on through the end of the school year.

If you are interested to stay after school and have a fun time playing soccer, go to room 503 and notify the site coordinator Alyssa for a permission slip to join.