The Wombats Concert: A Place to Find Love and a Career

Audrey Cummings, Staff Writer

In an idealistic world, there is always the hope that one day you’ll leave your house and stumble upon the love of your life, but for the members of the band Nation of Language, playing a gig at The Wombats concert provided them with more than just fateful love.

On January 26, 2018, the English rock band, The Wombats, graced the Observatory’s stage in the heart of Santa Ana. The venue is known for its intimacy, because even with a sold out show all concert-goers are within a few feet of the band members. The band originates from Liverpool in West England, and plays most of their concerts around Europe, so when local Southern Californians heard The Wombats were touring their new album Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life, the Observatory was full even for the first opening band.

On their recent American tour, The Wombats wanted to expose their listeners to new music, so they brought along with them the new bands Nation of Language and Feature Feats. Nation of Language was the opening band, and their  retro “Depeche Mode” sound enticed listeners.  Their synth player, Aidan Noell, and the lead singer, Ian Devaney, had amazing stage presence. Their dancing and cavorting around stage left audiences members exhausted, just watching.

During the transition to the third song of their set, Devaney exclaimed that he and Noell would be marrying in the summer. They actually met at a Wombats concert;  the experience not only provided them with love, but also a career as a backup band for The Wombats.

The three Wombats membersーMatthew Murphy, lead singer, Dan Haggis, drummer, and Tord Øverland, bassist and synth—have been making music together since 2003.

Known for their vibrant electric energy, The Wombats created an incredible set, throwing in old songs such as “Let’s Dance to Joy Division,” which stirred up an intense and aggressive mosh pit. They also tore through songs “Cheetah Tongue” and “Turn” off of their not-yet-released album.  “Sarah Woods of Ellenwood.com commented, “At the end of their dance filled set, fans left the venue feeling energized and eager for the February release of their new album ‘Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life’ next month in February.”

The Wombats are to return to San Diego on August 11, 2018 alongside bands Weezer and The Pixies. New listener and CHS student, Totee Setthachuea, exclaimed he would “definitely have to see them the next time they are in town. They are really the sound I enjoy…really upbeat and instrumental.” For anyone who is looking for new band with a unique sound, an energetic performance, interactive live experiences, a career, or even the love of your life, The Wombats are the perfect band to check out.