SENIOR PROM CANCELED

Photo courtesy of cchsvoice.org

Photo courtesy of cchsvoice.org

Isis Perez Hernandez, 9th

It was announced on April 1st by Clairemont High Principal Joe King and senior advisor Sr. P. Rank that Senior Prom is canceled.

Students are disappointed but the principal and senior advisor plan on sticking to their decision. Principal Joe King and Sr. P. Rank said, “We believe saving money for other upcoming events is a better idea.” They thought it was best just to save the little money that was earned from recent school events and use it for the Sadies dance and anything left over will be saved for prom the following year.

A date was set for June 2, 2018, yet the school cannot determine how much money will be raised next year, so no day is set for the following senior dance. Rico K. Ding said, “This had to happen right when I finally got the courage to ask a girl to a dance, I’m not really the type to party but I have made an exception for this once and prom was pretty much the only dance I was actually looking forward to attending.”

According to many teachers canceling prom was a mistake and many 2018 Seniors had an idea to donate money and help form a formal prom, but not many students had the money and were unable to help. IT English teacher April Jokes said, “Cancelling prom is a mistake, you can get married three or four times, and it would be okay, but prom only happens once and is a very important life experience for people at a young age, many of my students were looking forward to that dance.”

That one in a lifetime experience was not the only thing teachers had to say about this. School nurse Dr. Foolu said, “Our Seniors are being affected badly, and as a school nurse I say that this is a wound that cannot be cured with a lollipop and a band-aid, prom should be the night of a student’s life, and it should be a time to remember with many memories to cherish for a lifetime.”

Canceling prom for the first time ever is causing a lot of commotion towards the principal and administration staff.

Not much is going to be done this year but to prevent this from happening in 2019, the school will come together to donate money, have bake sales at school games, raise prices for other dances, have more fundraisers. The school foundation will have seniors sell cookies to help earn enough money for prom and other school dances or events.

Academy of Engineering junior Porsche Jokesonu said, “I feel good about the plans for next year, and I will for sure help with the fundraisers and do as much as I can to help make that night that we all look forward to attending possible for me and other kids in my grade.”

To know that much more will be done the following year, the Junior class feels relieved, and many are willing to help make their prom night ideal.