Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Natalie Jacobo, 9th

The San Diego School Board has decided to change the Clairemont Chieftain mascot as of April 1st saying it offends the Native American culture.

Many local tribal members are upset due to the native representation used in many schools. San Diego Unified School District School Board Director Dr. Joe Kester said, “The local members feel offended because mascots are often animals, so it is like we are referring them to animals.”

School administrator Dr. Fulya tried to explain to the Native American group that the intention was not to offend them, and hoped they would walk away, taking no action.

A member of the Kumeyaay tribe wanted to take the school to court but was convinced not to by Dr. Fulya.

A Kumeyaay local tribe member said, “If they change the mascot our tribe won’t take legal action.”

The offensiveness of specific terms, images, and performances to Native American culture tends to create problems with people’s feelings and personal opinions. The intention of Clairemont high’s mascot has always meant to honor Native Americans by using traits such as being brave, proud, and fierce to depict the school’s student spirit but many local tribal members and others see these as stereotypes.

The widely known Washington Redskins football team has been criticized many times due to the racial slur towards the Kumaya’s and other tribes around the nation.

In the United States, California ranks number one in the nation for total Native tribes. This results that the state has the most state and federal trial cases from the Native Americans.

Approximately 184 schools use Native American depictions as their mascot in California. After the state banned all use of the term “Redskin,” four schools continue to use it as a school symbol.

Once Clairemont high found out about what happened, most of the students and teachers were very disappointed. Senior April Storie said, “The Chieftains mascot has been here forever, and it’s going to be very sad to see it go.”

Although everybody is sad about seeing it change, people have been asking questions about what it is soon going to be. “What are we going to be then?” said junior G. Otu.

The school board decided to leave the choice of the new mascot up to the students. ASB adviser Mr. T. Rick is going to hold a voting poll in the gym from 7:00 AM to 2:10 PM on April 3rd.

ASB will officially announce the winner on April 6, the same day of the pep rally. Vice Principal Dr. Amay Dum said, “Students have put in some suggestions for a new mascot. I would like it to be “The Flamingos,” but sadly it’s not my choice. I can’t wait for them to announce the winner.”

The choices of a new mascot are leaning towards “The Anteaters” or “The Turkeys,” but none have been chosen. The colors of the school will be changed as well to look similar to the new mascot.

While Clairemont will never be the same, the school is ready to welcome the new mascot.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains”

1. Kathy Voros on April 11th, 2018 4:02 pm

As a long time Chieftain, I have seen this debate go up and down several times. This must be a new generation of Tribes.. The last time the mascot was challenged (by non-Native-Americans), I believe the reply from the Tribes was that they had many more important things to worry about than CHS using the Chieftains as a mascot.
    Those of us who remember Charlie Chieftain would agree that that was indeed a racist mascot (you can still see Charlie Chieftain on some windows in the school). We got rid of that, with apologies to the Tribes. What will we be if we’re not the Chiefs?

[Reply]

2. Albert-John Freeman on April 16th, 2018 12:59 pm

I sure hope that this is just another April Fools joke.

[Reply]

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Clairemomt High School Student Admitted Into His Dream School

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Five Reasons Why it’s Okay to be Single

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Robert Dean’s Journey Through Gospel

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

From Wildlife Biologist to Clairemont Science Teacher

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Hunter Almost Hunted

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Arts and Entertainment

Adrian Flores From Football to Rap

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Fletch Maps Out The Earth

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Taylor Samuel Stars As Student Teacher

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Senior Year Mistakes Haunt CHS Students

• Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains

Freshman Varsity Baseball Star Hits all The Bases

Goodbye Clairemont Chieftains