Parkland Will Be The Last Mass Shooting

Because It Has To Be

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parkland Will Be The Last Mass Shooting

Amanda Sabin, Staff Writer

On February 14th, 2018, a school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (MSD) caused the deaths of 17 students and faculty members.   This is not just a tragedy, this is a call to action. Students across the United States are ready to fight for gun control and safety in their own schools, and Clairemont should stand with them. Since the shooting in Parkland Forida, the students of MSD have taken to the streets and the White House to promote the gun reform necessary to prevent tragedies like this in the future. The students are planning the #MarchForOurLives, a gun control march on Washington, D.C. on March 24th. Sister marches are being coordinated around the country.  

Not a single person can argue that gun violence isn’t an issue of colossal magnitude in the United States.Many can name four mass shootings off the top of there head- Parkland, Pulse, Vegas, and Sutherland Springs.  All of these incidents make the top ten “Deadliest Mass Shootings in the US” list, according to CNN, and all of them have occurred in the past two years.  This is horrible, but clearly, since the United States government has not improved their gun control laws, they have accepted mass shootings as something that…just happens here.

This is intolerable and we need to take action.  “We” refers to Americans, young people, politically involved people, but also anyone who just wants to feel safe at school, or at the movies, or at church. Although the most recent shooting took place across the country from us, the lack of gun control affects San Diego too.  Clairemont High School students need to be a part of the change to protect ourselves from senseless gun violence, which is why the students of MSD encourage every single student to join the conversation, engage in the movement, and take a stand for our lives.

In addition to the student-led #MarchForOurLives, two different organizations have planned school walkouts in support of the movement.  The Women’s March organizers had theirs on March 14th, at 10am, for 17 minutes, in honor of the victims who died in the shooting. Clairemont participated in this by holding a thirty-minute program to honor the victims of the Parkland shooting.  The National School Walkout’s event is planned for April 20th, the anniversary of the Columbine shooting, which was one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history until the Parkland shooting. CHS organizers are planning a march to Mission Bay, beginning at 10 am and returning to school before the end of 4th period.  This walkout is not sponsored by the district, so students will receive absences, but that cost is well worth participating in this national movement. Everyone at Clairemont High School should do everything possible to be able to participate in the #NationalSchoolWalkout, as well as march downtown this Saturday in the March for our Lives.

To many, protesting seems ineffective and pointless.  But the truth is, political protests have been used throughout American history.  Think of Martin Luther King Jr.’s March on Washington, or the bus boycotts of that era, and what those actions did for the Civil Rights movement.  Cesar Chavez and the California grape boycotts of the late 60’s and 70’s helped farm workers get better wages and working conditions. Protesting is an effective means of demonstrating what we care about to our government in order to put pressure on them to enact change.  Aiden Krone, a senior at Clairemont High School, says “[Protesting] is a way to raise awareness in a specific community, as well as other parts of the country. If people didn’t protest, nothing would ever change.” Writing the legislation is not our job, but showing up and showing out is.

A series of interconnected movements is the key to driving this movement.  Gun violence has been ignored for too long- after every shooting, we mourn, tweet, get angry, rinse, repeat.  This time will be different, because it has to be. We cannot sit by and watch as more Americans- American children are killed every week, month, and year.  Clairemont students need to act by directly participating in these upcoming walkouts and marches. We are in control of our future.