Phobias At Clairemont High School

Photo courtesy of DuckBoss

Photo courtesy of DuckBoss

Photo courtesy of DuckBoss

Kailey Rasta, 9th

At Clairemont high many individuals struggle with fears. From teachers to office staff to students, many are scared of something.

According to news magazine Psychology Today fear, is the outcome of when the parts of the brain called the amygdala and hypothalamus use instinctual characteristics to sense danger. As a result, heart rate goes up, blood pressure increases, muscles tighten, and other subtle actions appear. Fright is a healthy human reaction. In the right situations, it is crucial.

Health and Medical freshman Alyssa Peters struggles with the trepidation of losing loved ones. “It scares me because I don’t want to be alone.” Some experience this after the death of a family member or friend. Although it is terrible, it is manageable. Many deal with this by making memories and spending time with the people they love.

When fear is excessive and unrealistic, it is considered a phobia. The excessiveness interferes with everyday life and makes it difficult to function normally. The reasons behind this are not yet discovered but are believed to have to do with genetics and environmental factors.

Health and medical student Araya Milus may suffer from trypophobia which is the irrational fear of small clusters of holes. “The visual of all the tiny holes put together disgusts me, and I get an upset stomach looking at it,” Milus said. Some responses to this include, goosebumps, panic attacks, feeling itchy or nauseous, and other physical reactions. Even though this condition is very real, it is not officially considered a mental disorder by medical officials.

Being a biology teacher on campus gives Jason  Kammerer an inside look at the anatomy of the human brain and how it works. He knows the consequences of someone facing mental challenges, making this his biggest fear. “My job relies on my brain, and that’s the one thing I have that’s better than most people,” he said.

“There’s a difference between a fear and a phobia,” said Kammerer but is that the case?

According to Dr. Todd Farchione from the doctor oz show online blog, he is correct. “Fear is designed to protect us,” he wrote. Phobias, on the other hand, do not usually protect and this is because phobias are irrational, making the fears not plausible for reality.

Mr. Kammerer’s student-teacher Ms. Orosco is trying to begin a career teaching. Due to this her biggest fear currently is finding a job. “If I don’t find a job, then I won’t have an income for next year, and I don’t know how I will continue living on my own,” Orosco said.

The likelihood of not finding a job is a frequent anxiety among millennials. The statistics would contribute to having it. According Larry Alton from Forbes online magazine the millennial unemployment rate is 12.8 percent compared to the national average which is 4.9 percent.

Most, if not all people are afraid of something and face challenges every day as a result of it. Learning to let things go or getting help from a specialist can help relieve the stress it causes.