Little “Orphan” Emily Overcomes Loss of Both Parents

Katarina Hoech, Associate Editor

As teens, we all go through the classic “I hate my parents” phase. Unless we aren’t able to because we don’t have parents to “hate.”

Emily Baros is your average ninth grader at Clairemont High School (CHS). At least on the face of it.  She enjoys fashion and writes poems in her free time. However, she’s just a little different. Baros lives with her aunt, grandmother, and sister. She is an “orphan.”

At the age of seven, Baros mom died of complications associated with obesity. “Her heart was beating for the weight of two people,” Baros says.

She doesn’t remember much of her, and that instead of seeing memories as moments, she sees them as still photos. “I don’t remember my mom as a person, and doing things with her. When I recall her it’s more like a picture .”

The last memory Baros has of her mom is her telling her to clean her room. Baros refused and started throwing a fit so her mom started to record her on her phone, thinking it was funny. Baros got mad and the situation ended with her throwing her mom’s phone.

Her dad died six years later when Baros was thirteen. She and her dad had a difficult relationship, and she remembers having an argument with him on the day he went to the hospital. He had gone to a chiropractor and was sent to the hospital after having a heart attack there.

After both of her parents died, Baros and her older sister, Kendra, started living with their 60-year-old aunt, Barbara. She is their official guardian. Barbara feels that because Baros still gets to live with her blood relatives, she and her older sister aren’t really “orphans.” Baros lives in the home she’s been in her whole life, which makes her feel less alone.

Barbara also believes that Baros is a “true survivor,” and is glad that she is so positive. She has hope that Baros will continue to move forward in life. Barbara wants what any guardian would want, and hopes that Baros will still be able to have a good life despite the adversity she’s faced losing both parents at a young age.

As for Baros, she doesn’t see her life as very different from any “typical” teen with both parents.  She doesn’t think she’s missing out on too much except for being able to go through the infamous “hating” your parents stage, and things like dad/daughter dances. She explains, “Sure I miss them sometimes, but I’ve gotten used to life without them.”

She’s a positive and successful person that has already been able to move past losing her parents. Baros actually says she does miss them sometimes, but not having parents gives her some other opportunities that most kids wouldn’t get.

“We’ll always miss the people we’ve lost, but the ones that are still with us count the most,” says Baros.