Minecraft: An E-Sports Revolution

Stephen Drummy, Staff Writer

From pencils and erasers to keyboard and mouse, students at Clairemont High School named Mikey, BlazingKong and Ace Bandage McGee embark into the competitive field of Minecraft.

Minecraft was born into the world on May 16, 2009 by Swedish game developer Markus Persson, taking inspiration from a game called Infiniminer released on April 29, 2009. In 2017 it remains the second most sold video game ever, selling 122,000,000 copies. After the launch of the full version Minecraft released a multiplayer mode, allowing people to create their own worlds and game modes to share with others. One of the forerunners in multiplayer servers is called Hypixel, which has multiple game modes such as The Walls, Mega Walls, Blitz Survival Games, and many more.

In 2011 the Minecrafters, Mikey, BlazingKong, and Ace Bandage McGee all began to play the popular game Bed Wars. Bed Wars is a game in which multiple teams of one to four players spawn on an island with a bed, an ore generator (different ores are used as currency) and two vendors. The idea of the game is to destroy the other players beds and protect your own. In early summer of 2017 Mikey, BlazingKong, and Ace Bandage McGee developed their own competitive team called Clean Sheets.

With the great responsibility of the competitive team on their shoulders they encountered many problems.  First was recruiting players, the founders quickly went to their close friends getting seven more to join.  The second yet largest problem was and still is trying to balance school and the team, especially once they entered their junior year. Their practice schedule consists of daily matches, which has major conflicts with homework. Team Captain Mikey said, “It’s hard trying to balance school and the competitive team at the same time.” This became especially present, because school takes away from their time practicing together. Together they compete in high intensity matches, lasting up to thirty minutes battling to win.  Over time they refined their skills, Co-Captain Ace Bandage McGee Stated, “This prestigious team can only have the best players from Clairemont.”  Secrecy and professionalism is their formal goal, but competing to win is the dream.

Maintaining high GPAs and K/DRs, these Clairemont students took it upon themselves to start their own competitive Minecraft Team.

Mikey, BlazingKong and Ace Bandage McGee’s Minecraft team’s logo