San Diego Residents Need Soccer Stadium

To Cure those Bye Bye Chargers Blues

Peyton Hijar, Staff Writer

The Chargers are dead and gone. San Diego needs a new sports team. A new soccer team is just the right remedy for the “Goodbye Chargers” blues.

There are two groups currently fighting over the abandoned stadium that the Chargers left behind. One group is Soccer City, the other is San Diego State University. SoccerCity wants to use the land to build a community centered around a soccer stadium featuring a new Major League Soccer (MLS) team. They also hoped to develop the area  into a space for businesses, entertainment venues and restaurant. It would cost no money because it is privately funded.

SDSU on the other hand would like to use the land to expand their campus. They could use the land to house more students, as they are currently running out of room. Out of around 93,000 applicants, only around 8,000 get into the college. With the new housing, it could provide space for more students, possibly allowing more to be accepted. Unlike SoccerCity, it would cost taxpayer money.

Both plans are very similar, and that’s what makes the decision so hard. The vote between the two is set for November of 2018.

The SoccerCity plan is very detailed in it’s ideas for the property. There would be a river park in addition to a state of the art soccer stadium. It would be built along the San Diego river, with sidewalks and grass areas for families to walk and play in. The river park would even be built up front. As mentioned briefly before, the SoccerCity plan would be privately funded by a team of La Jolla based investors. The proposal also includes “legally binding taxpayer protections” to make sure not a dime of public money is spent.

The SDSU plan has similar ideas. It would include a stadium holding up to 35,000 seats that could be used for Aztec football games. It could also accommodate a professional soccer team, along with other sports. It land will also include two hotels, office buildings, 4,500 student/ faculty/ public housing, along with 90 acres of parkways, plazas, and walkways.

Finally, it is clear that San Diego already has a large soccer fan base. With their many competitive youth leagues and fan base of teams from all over the world, an MLS team would thrive. People would be happy to have a new sports team to root for, which would bring people together. With the strong proposal to the MLS regarding their team expansion, there is a good chance San Diego will be picked to host their very own team soon.

Clairemont High School soccer coach Scott Bello thinks that both plans are a “positive step for getting Pro soccer here in San Diego.” Bello also mentioned that he does like the SoccerCity plan since it will not cost San Diego taxpayers any money. Like many others, he agrees that “San Diego needs a pro soccer team, its long overdue.”

With the Chargers gone, it’s clear that a piece is missing from San Diego. A new soccer team would be sure to fill that space and bring back the competitive spirit to San Diego