Female Wrestling Team Dominates CIF Finals

Victoria Streeter, Staff Writer

The CHS ladies wrestling team had another incredible season. As the winter wrestling league competition came to an end, the Lady Chieftains sent a huge contingent of wrestlers to Sweetwater Union High for the girls CIF tournament where they battled for a chance to make it to state championship tournament.

By the second day of of the tournament, Saturday, many wrestlers were eliminated. Yet,  incredibly, ten out of the thirteen CHS girls made it to the second day, and three of them placed top five in their weight class.

Many members of the team were first year wrestlers, meaning they did not have as much experience as some of the other competitors, but this did not stop the team from placing for medals. Several went as far as placing in the top five individually at CIF.  CHS students Juliana Villa (10), Kaela Estrada (12) and Anne-Marie Maskalenko (12) all placed in the top five in their weight classes, finishing fourth, fifth, and first respectively.

During that chaotic weekend, the Clairemont Lady Chieftains wrestling team truly left their mark at the CIF girls tournament placing third as a team. And many girls  built a reputation as first year wrestlers with a lot of grit. All their hard work and many hours on the mat paid off in the end.

Since Maskalenko placed first, she was able to continue her season on to the state championship tournament in Visalia where she had several good wins, but did not place.  Said Maskalenko, “This past season was something to be proud of. We achieved so much with such a young team. I’m excited for next season. We’re going to dominate with even stronger and tougher wrestlers with more experience.”

Along with the girls, the boys proved to be quite the force. Senior Nick Thanh placed second in CIF at Mater Dei Catholic High School.  He inspired his teammates who were well aware of his serious injury last year that left him paralyzed for two weeks. His courage did not go unnoticed.

Said Thanh, “The men persevered, showing their desire to improve and move further ahead all season. Their fight and spirit was shown in the way they wrestled. Blasting through the competition, the men displayed their dedication to the sport, on and off the mat, spreading the word on how we do it as Chieftains. I’m proud that was able to wrestle for the 2017-2018 Clairemont Wrestling team.”

As the season had come to an end the female and male wrestlers vowed to work hard during the off-season getting ready for next year. Coach Ricks, did the same, stating “Both the boys and girls wrestling programs had great seasons this year with success at both the individual and the team level. We look forward to building upon this year’s success and to growing the future of both programs!”