Art Institute of Chicago Offers Artists Incredible Support, Aid

Natalie Miens, Staff Writer

Whether it be a hectic job, overwhelming schoolwork or a complicated family-life, everyone has experienced a form of extreme stress at some point in their life. For most high-school seniors, trying to find a college that will be the right fit for them can be a very stress-inducing time.

Art students in particular struggle to discover a university with adequate visual and performing arts programs. Often, the higher-than-average tuition fees that art colleges require make it impossible for an aspiring artist to fulfill their dreams. However, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is one university that prides itself on equal opportunity and providing the best possible experience it can for its students. From scholarships and spacious dorms to a beautiful urban Chicago campus, SAIC is one of the best schools for an arts education in the country.

Named the nation’s most influential art and design school by Columbia University, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago offers boundless opportunities for everyone who is accepted into their program. Students often worry that going to college to receive an art degree won’t get them a well-paying job. However, at SAIC, they offer incredible internship programs in partnership with many well-established corporations such as Marvel, Pixar and Disney. This is a great pathway for employment opportunities; in fact, 92.9% of undergraduate alumni reported that they had a stable job because of the education they received. Student reviewer Christina on cappex.com states that “You’re getting a world-class education from one of the most renowned art schools in the country!” No other school will be able to provide the same level of resources and advantages than SAIC.   

Another integral part of SAIC is the surrounding city life. Right in the heart of downtown Chicago, the school is situated right next to beautiful Lake Michigan and in the midst of a thriving city full of places to explore and artistic inspiration. Chicago is home to one of the most lively art scenes in the U.S., with several galleries and art shows/events year round. There is also no limit to the events and places in Chicago that are available. Students can take a short trip over to famed Wrigley Field to watch World Series Champions the Chicago Cubs play some baseball, or take a short walk from campus to see a concert at Millenium Park. All of this is within walking distance of the SAIC facilities, and readily available at a moment’s notice.

For any prospective college students coming from smaller areas around the country, adjusting to the hustle and bustle of city life can be difficult. That is why the facilities and student housing at SAIC are so important. The school offers many rooms filled with equipment not usually found in other art schools, such as a laser made of plasma that can shoot straight through metal and a kiln big enough to fit a small car inside.

SAIC offers students a place to work without interruption, helped by their caring, knowledgeable teachers and staff. The dorms, located about a block away from the main campus, are also very different from most conventional college housing. They are all very spacious, with high ceilings and large two-person bathrooms. Each SAIC dorm also includes a small kitchenette and full-sized fridge so that students have the opportunity to cook in their rooms when they need to. Although some complain about the distance between the dorms and campus, the benefits of having a comfortable, open living space far outweighs any distance one might have to walk.

Overall, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is a great choice for a college career in the arts. Art students can finally have the education they deserve at SAIC that they may not have received at their past high-school. From Illustration to Film and Video, this college provides the best resources possible. Students at SAIC can enjoy a five-star educational experience in the arts, right in the middle of an engaging and fun city.