Totee Wins eSports Championship

Nick Davidson, Staff Writer

A champion in the classroom, on the track, and in the competitive gauntlet that is League of Legends eSports. Totee Setthachuea, a senior at Clairemont high, is certainly a man of many talents.  His drive to achieve the highest echelon of excellence is admirable and obvious, especially in the recent Microsoft sponsored League of Legends, a highly popular multiplayer online battle arena, tournament in San Diego, California, where he and a group of valiant students from Clairemont High took on the challenge of conquering all competitors who dared challenge them.

By assuming the role as Captain of the team, Setthachuea was able to harness the power of the self-proclaimed “…team of a bunch of losers, who never win.” (an obvious ironic statement, of course). This allowed them to persevere through the steady grind of the tournament.  Setthachuea played his role as the teams top laner with the highest amount of grace, and when asked about his contributions, he stated “All I had to was moderately win lane, and farm up towards the late game, which I did, and performed my job.” For those not familiar with eSports, the map consists of multiple lanes cutting horizontally where the players must traverse in order to get to the enemy team’s spawn point, and players who occupy these lanes are referred to as “laners”.

His teammates agreed as well, with team Attack Damage (AD) Carry Kevin Nguyen adding, “Totee was essential to our victory, carrying the team from the top lane.”  Setthachuea was also quick to point out that the other team competing for the championship seemed “…very tight and serious, and didn’t look like they were having any fun.” He described his team, however, as “…having a lot of passionate nerds who just really love the game.”

The reward for his prize was not just pride, however. Each member of the team received “…$20 worth of Microsoft store credit, and $10 worth of Riot Points; League of Legends’ in game currency.”  A handsome compensation for his efforts, this was a prize that would tempt any champion to return the ring. However, when asked about his plans to continue participating in these tournaments, Setthachuea was skeptical, stating “When school is not so hectic, yes, but for now, I’m focused on getting into college.” A truly saddening thing to hear for the world of eSports, with one of its most profound members taking a leave of absence. Upon his return though, a champion will be reborn, and many are eagerly awaiting that day.