Novice Hockey Coach Dominates the Field

Samantha Jameson, Writer

When the Girls Varsity Field Hockey team was left without a coach this year, soccer coach Scott Bello stepped up to keep the girls on the playing field. Bello took the job because it was a good fit for him since his daughter played field hockey in high school. She also volunteered to help him out. This father-daughter combination proved to be dynamic and helpful for the success of the team. This, along with the fact that Bello was familiar with the sport in general, he knew he would work well with the girl’s team.

The varsity field hockey team has had a terrible record the past two years. They lost the vast majority of their games. However, this past year with Bello’s help, they have taken a tremendous leap forward to becoming a better team.

Senior Veronica Morales, who played outside as a midfielder said, “This has been my third new coach! But out of the three, he has been my favorite. Taking the job was a huge decision, considering our past record;  however, the way he came about it, he doesn’t look at as like we are losers. He looks at us as winners.”

Considering how the season went Morales said,“The girls on the team are super appreciative… we started as a rough patch. Now we understand what we need to fix, and I am very pumped to be working hard my last year as a hockey player,” said Morales

Bello has a “can do” attitude which rubbed off on the team. He would do anything to ensure that the players are okay and happy with the game.

There were few moments when he became disappointed with them. He would say to the team,

“I want you guys to be happy with how you guys played. That’s all I’m asking.”

The last few games, Bello’s “soccer voice” crept through his coaching. Coach Bello’s soccer voice gets very competitive when he knows his team is better than the other team. Junior Kaela Estrada who played middle defense mentioned, “It didn’t bother me as much because I knew he was just sticking up for the team and the girls playing “hard.” Coach Bello is an amazing coach, and I loved how he was learning the game of field hockey from the sidelines,” said Estrada.

The girls agreed, Bello coached with passion. Once he almost got kicked out of a game at La Jolla Country Day High School. The body language of the referees communicated restlessness with their calls and Coach Bello wasn’t having it. Though players were ready for the game to be cancelled, it was the end of the season and the players didn’t really care if they got removed from the team.

Hearing from coach Bello, “I really enjoyed it…I wasn’t sure if I would but it is one of the most fun things that I’ve had a chance to do and I enjoyed getting to know and working with the girls.”