Depression Taking Root in Teens Lives

Emily Baros, Staff Writer

Teenage depression is a serious topic that often goes hand in hand with stress from school. Depression is a mental illness that disrupts your everyday life with feelings like extreme sadness and losing the will to do daily activities. Depression is treatable with proper help and for some, the use of medications.

It is the most common mental health disorder in the United states among teens and adults according to Teen Help. Teen Help also stated that between 10 to 15 percent of teenagers have some symptoms of depression at any one time. They said that,  “Depression can affect anyone— even a person who appears to live in relatively ideal circumstances.”

Students in schools everywhere are affected by elevated stress that can lead to depression. As the grade levels push for students to meet higher and higher expectations, students are pushed to their limits. As the stress builds up, it can affect students performance on tests and in class. Genevieve Trepte, a 9th grader at Clairemont High School said, “There is a lot of pressure on students because of testing and school work, and there is sometimes pressure from parents to get good grades. All of that could possibly build up and spark things like anxiety and depression.”

Kayla Kulp, a writer at athensoracle states, “Research shows that one of every four adolescents will experience major depression during high school, the average onset age 14 years…. school can also prevent treatment of it,”  this is very true to those affected by depression. Depression is a serious mental issue that needs to be addressed and treated by professionals.

The head counselor at Clairemont High School , Mrs. Victorino also commented, “Teenage depression is a huge issue nowadays and by far the last few years I’ve seen the issue getting bigger and I attribute it to pressure for students to go to college, because it means that students have to take on rigorous classes which can put a lot on student’s plate. This leads to depression and anxiety. There are counselors available at the school to talk to.” Those struggling should know that there are always resources available.

Mental health is a priority. There are many resources at school and everywhere, that are there to help with mental health. Schools should take more preventative actions and should help relieve the pressure on students.