Superstitions Have Cast A Spell In Sports

Photo courtesy of SportsAspire

Photo courtesy of SportsAspire

Photo courtesy of SportsAspire

Matt Landie, 9th

Superstitions can influence sports and are created by an accidental spur of the moment decisions. While some are serious,  they can also be ridiculous.

“Back in my day we wanted to have the same number on our jerseys from freshman year to senior year,” said Academy of Information Technology teacher Mr. Senteno.

Some are very easy to spot, others are done in private, and sometimes they can be seen outrageous to many people. Some famous athletes have lucky routines, even a few of the greatest of all time had one.

For a lot of competitors, it is the little things. Some basketball players have a particular routine from the free throw line, and they do the same thing every time.

Michael Jordan is a representation of an outstanding athlete who had a wild belief. When he was in the NBA, Jordan always wore his University of North Carolina practice shorts under his uniform. To be able to do this, he had to have his in-game shorts made longer to cover up the UNC athletic gear according to sports broadcast Bleacher Report.

Lucky clothes can be common among famous Golfers as well as Basketball players. On the Sunday of every tournament, the 14-time major championship winning golfer Tiger Woods wears a red shirt. This did not start when he became a professional. He has worn a red shirt on Sundays ever since he was a teen. He was fortunate enough to attend Stanford University, whose golf team wore red.

These illusions are not only at the professional level but in high school and college as well. Health and Medical Sciences sophomore Madison Taylor said, “I always pray before games because I feel that I will not do well if I don’t.”

Spiritual beliefs are common in the world of sports. Freshman softball player Katalina Lemoine said, “When it’s two strikes I always do the symbol of the cross on my chest. It usually works because I don’t strike out that often. If I don’t, I will most likely strike out.”

Students who play sports have little things that they do before games since it helps them get ready. Some players will want the number of a particular athlete that they look up to or one that has been in their family for a long time.

Academy of Business freshman JJ Schimke says that he takes a shower before every one of his baseball games. “I started doing it when I was ten years old, and I’ve stuck with it since. I do it to wash out the bad luck. Also, it just feels much more refreshing when you run with wet hair and a clean body than a sweaty and sticky one.”

Freshman baseball player Jacob Sirois says that baseball is probably the most superstitious sport. He has a superstition unlike most. “If I don’t tie my shoes during the first five minutes of the game I will most likely fall during that game,” he said.

Superstitions are all about what feels right from person to person, and few are alike.