Texting Impacts Student Writing

Photo by Esmeralda Rodriguez

Photo by Esmeralda Rodriguez

Photo by Esmeralda Rodriguez

Esmeralda Rodriguez, senior

The technological era of this generation is impacting students that use abbreviations and acronyms every day while texting and it is likely that they do the same in their academic writings at school.

Teens who communicate with peers on social media or text messaging make the mistake of using the same writing in school. Slang terms are also known as “text speak,” such as “u,” “Idk,” and ” 2nite,”are abbreviated to message faster.

There is now a large decline in the writing ability for scholars creating a negative impact on their school work and essays. Now there is poor punctuation and grammar in class assignments.

Health and Medical Academy English teacher Mrs.Klein said, “I do think it’s affecting their writing in school…I  think texting is good and that it’s allowed students to write more, but we need to help them kind of figure out the different ways and the different purposes and the different audience for which we write.”

U.S. publication News reports that 85 percent of teens use an electronic cell phone to communicate and are not cautious about using slang in class. Outside of class, they become reckless with typing which gives them no time to re-read what they have written down.

Clairemont high school staff member Mrs. Elzien said, “I would want to say it makes students lazy, I just think it makes them less creative… Everyone that uses that to communicate with other people doesn’t take the time to be creative in the way they think and talk to each other.”

Technology is a problem for adolescents when it comes to interacting with their peers due to the lack of physical communication and hiding behind a device. Clairemont senior Karla Villegas said,“Yeah, me and my friends are guilty in this case. Even when (we’re) with one another, we still manage to text each other when we’re in the same room.”

Moreover, there is fear that this is going to stay for awhile and will create an unscholarly image for youths. Video Production teacher Mr. Sparks said, “Spelling would be part of writing. But if you can still tell a story it would not affect your writing ability but spelling specifically it’s gonna have an impact on that so the overall presentation of the written piece of document you turn in will look or and uneducated.”

Many people have an optimistic view. Some parents feel that this new communication is helping children become more advanced in reading and writing. This “text speak” is making kids write more than any parent did. It has been proved that students avoid text writing in their work and “code-switch”.

Text speak is a concern that many feel will destroy the future for leveled graduates, however, if they are smart enough to know what situation to use this type of vocabulary in, it will be no problem at all.

Health and Medical Academy English teacher Mrs.Klein said, “I think students are smarter than that and they realize that texting is one avenue and venue for writing but whenever you’re writing an email for your business or for your job… That’s a different form of writing then text messages, and I would like to think students would graduate knowing that.”

The future cannot be predicted to see if this problem remains. As people grow, the generations change, if this is still becoming a negative impact “text speak” is going to be the language they grow up with.