Teenagers Need More Zzzzzz

Photo by Alyssa Somsamouth/Nicole Villarreal

Adriana Petkova, 9th

Many Americans have seen the movie Sleepless in Seattle, but students are experiencing it, not just in Seattle, but in high schools across the nation.

Sleep deprivation is caused by many things, including stress and anxiety. According to the Huffington Post, most symptoms are due to these common issues that are prevalent in many classrooms, with students being the primary victims.

A significant factor in this phenomenon is the amount of homework assigned each night for the average American student. These assignments, coupled with the early start times of schools, can be stressful for teens.

Early start schools can cause teens to have to wake-up at an earlier time and decreases sleep time. Additionally, having extra work makes students stay up later, resulting in going to bed at a later time.

According to the Huffington Post news publication students going to bed later than 11:30 pm tend to perform worse in academics and sports, and ethical behavior seems to decrease that results in worse grades. Hyperactivity and impulsiveness can make learning a challenge.

Health and Medical Sciences junior Maggie Mullen said, “I think sleep deprivation is caused because some people are stressed, and some people have too much energy. Some (students) are drinking coffee right after school, and it does not go through their system. They could have a lot of energy before they go to bed.”

Stanford Medicine News Center magazine reported that students will suffer from many negative consequences due to sleep deprivation. Some of these consequences are poor grades, depression, and suicidal thoughts or actions. Students follow a cycle going to bed late, barely stay awake in class then go to bed later to catch up on the assignments missed while they were dozing off in class, then the cycle repeats.

Clairemont senior Lindsay Pierce says it can be difficult for her to stay awake during class. She has trouble balancing her work schedule and school schedule. “I get home at 10 pm, then do my homework for 3 hours then go to bed at 1 in the morning.” For many high school seniors having to do homework after a long shift at work can be tiring, but it is also something that happens so often that it becomes routine.

Many students share these feelings and thoughts, but for a variety of reasons.

Health and Medical Sciences sophomore Madison Taylor said, “I have practice for the school team I play for then I go straight to my club team. Then I go home and have to do chores, then homework and fall asleep around 12:30 or 1 in the morning.”

Obviously, for teenagers, sleep deprivation begins to become a larger issue when school studies, work, and sports are involved.

For the high school, changes may be just around the corner. Next year, Clairemont may be a late start campus. The school could possibly begin as late as 8:30 in the morning and end at 3:00 in the afternoon.

For students who like to sleep in late, this could be a blessing in disguise.