8 Perks of Amazon Prime You Didn’t Know About

Charles Bersley, Evan Reinas, Staff Writers

Have you ever thought about using Amazon Prime? People usually think the only benefit of Amazon Prime is free shipping. However, there’s actually more to it. Here are the eight hidden perks of Amazon Prime.

1. Same-Day Delivery

An Amazon Prime membership costs $99 a year, or you can pay $10.00 per month. Either way, you can have same-day delivery instead of waiting anywhere from a week to even a month to get your order.

1. Share Benefits with Others

Another bonus is that other family members can join in on the membership and share the benefits with you for free. You can share the same Prime Membership with two other adults in the same household or up to four family members or friends. To share your Amazon Prime membership, go to Account Settings >> Manage Your Content and Devices >> Settings >> Holds and Family Library >> Invite Adult.

1. Watch Streaming Video

Amazon also offers a list of movies and TV series like “The Wire” and “The Lobster” and many more you can stream from compatible devices. Amazon Video is available through your computer’s web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as hundreds of streaming media devices including Smart TVs and Blu-ray players. You don’t have to pay for Netflix and Hulu when you can just stream using Amazon Prime.

1. Download Free Music

Another feature is that you can download music for free. Many people enjoy their first year of Prime membership without ever knowing this feature exists. You can stream songs the same way you stream music on Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora, but you can also choose from more than one million mp3s to keep forever on your phone or computer.

1. Read Free Books and Magazines

The fifth feature is that you can read books for free as well. Amazon started as a online bookstore so this option is readily available. Prime members are also able to borrow book’s from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library each month of the year. Download the Kindle app and you’re ready to read all of the books.

1. Use Special Cloud Storage

If you don’t have a ton of storage, Amazon Prime will have some storage for you. You will be able to have unlimited photo storage and 5GB of storage to your device for non-photo related content such as videos or other documents. This feature comes for free.

1. Order Food and Domestic Goods

With Amazon Prime Fresh, you can have someone wait in the Costco line for you and get the groceries you need. You no longer have to drive and worry about picking up food. You can get restaurant food delivered right to your door as well. This will cost you an additional $15 dollars a month. If you find yourself going out to eat a lot or going grocery shopping multiple times throughout the month, it is definitely worth it. 

8: Get Discounts on Games

Amazon Prime members get 20% off on video game pre-orders and new releases. That applies to any physical video game copies that hit Amazon within two weeks of ordering. The deal does not include console game bundles.

All in all, Amazon Prime offers a host of bonuses that are worth taking advantage of. What are you waiting for? Go get a membership!